11. Beta Duty

Jack phased quickly and went to go find his Alpha, afriad he might cause some damage to the human townspeople nearby. He howled in the night, waiting for a reply to come. When none came, he thought of the worse.

It was rare for Dresden to let his wolf take control. Jack knew the beast inside Dresden was dark and, like Dresden, has done some nasty deeds. Dresden normally had full control over himself but there times - as few as they were - when Jack was almost killed trying to stop his Alpha. And tonight he feared the next battle. If any of the pack were to meet up with him, they would surely die. That would tear Dresden up.

He finally heard a howl reply to his many calls and he didn't hesitate to race to meet up with Dresden.

She won't even speak to me. She keeps hiding it from me!

His Alpha vented angrily, his black wolf pacing back and forth. His fur was on edge and Jack noticed a few dead squirells lying around. Dresden had let his wolf go. He released his anger through the hunt. His wolf must've been just as angry as Dresden was now.

I want to know who did this! I want to find him and I want to kill him! Jack winced as Dresden bit into a dead squirel and tore it to pieces, blood and flesh falling all over the place. The iron smell of it made Jack wrinkle his nose as he waited for his Alpha to calm down.

Okay, so let's go find him and kill him. Then what? There must be a reason Julie is hiding their identity from you. We should get more information before we do anything that might scare her off even more.

Her brothers won't tell us shit. They belong to Ollie. Dresden retored at his beta, snarling frustratingly. Jack sat down, watching as his Alpha paced, blowing off step with each frustrated step. If he were to provoke him or say something wrong now, he'll be the one covered in bruises and that meant all of his fun with Sheila would be over for a while. He shivered just at the thought of it.

What about her sister, Rose? Jack ventured when Dresden calmed down some. His Alpha immediately shut him down with a growl.

No way in hell am I going to that bitch!

Did she threaten you or something about Julie? Jack asked, giving his Alpha a wolfish grin. Dresden leered at Jack but Jack was quick and avoided the attack. Fine! Let's just track Julie then!

Track her?

Keep an eye on her. Maybe looking at her home life will give us a clue. Stalk her. Dresden thought over this for a few minutes and then sat down in frustration. Jack could see that he was calm enough again to rationally think before acting out. He calmed a little and began to convince his Alpha of his plan.

She's terrified of something and that isn't at school. She was fearful in the beginning.

It must be at home. Dresden added.

She should be there now. Jack informed him, sniffing at a dead squirell next to him. The smell of raw meat made his stomach turn and he couldn't understand how Dresden used to live off of it. The idea of it disgusted him.

She went home? Jack looked up at him and nodded. Damn, I went too far.

That's expected. She's your mate. You can track her scent and find out where she lives. Maybe something you see there will help you figure her out.

Jack, Dresden stood up, staring at his beta. Keep an eye on her when I'm not around. I don't trust anyone with her at this point. Jack nodded and watched his Alpha take off in the direction of Julie's scent, smirking to himself. He was about to become prime beta to the prime Alpha for miles around. The only problem is getting Dresden to become that prime Alpha before he chases his mate away.

Jack trotted back to one of their many boxes. He pawed the shirts away until he found just the jeans and then he phased, changing into a pair. He walked the rest of the way back to the party, enjoying the smell of nature slowly mixing up with wolves and beer. The pack didn't notice his absence and he fell right back into rhythm as if he never left at all. She-wolves of his pack winked and smirked at him, posing themselves in attractive positions but he went on, looking away from them. He caught eyes with Ollie talking with Julie's brothers and a scent he knew well hit him.

"Where have you've been?" Sheila whispered teasingly in his ear, her teeth scraping it just a little. Her hands ran up his arm, sending a wave of pleasure over him. She knows him too well, he thought.

"Beta duty called," He answered, turning to face her. He could see the craving she desired in her eyes and smirked at her. He's been with many she-wolves since becoming old enough to phase. He was still with many. But Sheila was theo nly one who ever kept his interest for this long. She wrapped her arms around his waist and squeezed herself against him. "Still have some business to finish too." She pounted, her lips glazing over as she leaned towards him.

"Are you sure it can't wait?" He chuckled, his hand cupping her cheek.

"I promise that as soon as I'm done, I'll be back to treat you." He winked, kissing her longingly and letting out a groan when she bit his lips. He pulled away and walked out of her embrace before he could lose control. He heard her giggle behind him.

He found Andy leaning against a tree, talking discretely with his Alpha and headed for him. His brother, Zach, was dancing with his new mate in the crowds, entirely gone from this world. Jack was intercepted before he could get near Ollie or Andy though.

"Can I help you?" Paul asked. Jack smirked at him and shook his head.

"Nope," He walked around him swiftly and quickly made his way to the Alpha. Ollie looked up and glared at him, standing tall and straight.

"What?" His voice sounded as if a rainy day just ruined his parade. Jack inwardly chuckled. He knew Ollie well enough to tell that he thought it had something to do with Dresden. Jack turned his attention to Andy though.

"I need Rose's phone number." He told him. "For emergencies, you know." Andy raised his eyebrow, scrutinizing him. Ollie watched, letting the twin decide for himself. Andy chuckled a moment late and then shrugged.

"Sure, just be warned - she doesn't take well to bad news." He said, pulling out his phone. Jack grinned, taking his cellular device from his pocket.