22. Chasing Julie

Julie fell asleep quickly. Her whole body was tired despite the fact that she hasn't done anything except think. By the time Dresden had returned, she was already in pajamas and sound asleep in bed, leaving half of it for him. He paused to stare at her sleeping form, admiring her beauty from afar. He felt a need to hold her but he kept control, turning to his dresser. He pulled out a pair of boxers and some pajama pants before heading into the bathroom for a shower. He let the cold water cool his head, his body making up for the lost heat thanks to his werewolf genes. He let his thoughts roam through the day, his frustration on the rumors slowly coming and going.

He didn't know who would have the  balls to attack packs during mating season. And he also didn't know who would be stupid enough to head in his direction. The moment they decided to step onto his lands, he'd kill them. He won't let such a small threat come at his pack. Sure, his pack could handle it but his mate was just healing from her violent lifestyle. He did not want a bloody battlefield in his backyard that would give rise to new fears for her.

He could tell that the rumors were starting to get to Ollie. He first thought that Ollie might be planning something but after the council, he didn't have a need to worry. He needed Ollie, despite the fact that they don't get along. Ollie was someone who kept him in check, a reminder that he couldn't lose control over himself like he used to. Ollie was a good leader and a responsible Alpha that he considered an opponent. Ollie was someone he could compete with whenever he was bored.

That was one thing he didn't like about being Alpha of the pack. He loved the control, the power he had over miles around. He was strong and no one dared cross him. But that was what he hated - the boredom that came with it. Any potential opponent was too afriad to cross paths with him and enemies were few these days. Ollie was the only exception.

Dresden finished his shower and got changed, towel-drying his hair. He opened the door quietly, knowing that Julie wouldn't hear it like any other Were would. Her voice drifted to his ears, mumbling and moaning. Julie was doing it again.

He threw the towel on the counter and walked to her side, frowning over her. Her once calm face was now showing expresions of fear and pain. She tossed and turned, shaking her head as if to fight off something. What was she dreaming about?

"Julie?" He called out to her, brushing his fingers over her face in hopes of calming her. She started to toss more ferociously. "Julie!" He panicked, taking her into his arms, hoping that she'd wake up from whatever nightmare she was having.

Julie gasped, her eyes wide with fear as she looked around the room feverishly. Her skin was glistening with sweat and she was breathing heavily, as if she just ran for miles. Dresden watched her as she looked up at him, exhaling a big breath. Her head fell forward as she leaned against his arm, rubbing her face with her hands.

"What were you dreaming about?" He asked, raising her face to look up at him. Her eyes had circles under them, showing her stress. But it was her eyes watering that made his chest hurt. "Julie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," She stuttered. "I'm sorry. It was just a bad dream."

"Julie," He called her sternly. "These dreams have been happening a lot, haven't they?"

"I'm fine." She argued, falling back onto the bed and rolling over, showing him her back. He sighed, reminding himself to be patient - to trust her to tell him when she was ready. He stood up and headed back to the bathroom, leaving the door open. The light brightened up the room a bit but it didn't fall onto Julie in any way. He brushed his teeth, eyeing her to make sure she was sleeping peacefully.  When he finished, he turned off the light and looked up, finding Julie sitting up. Her expression looked startled, surprised and he raised his eyebrow.

"Julie?"

Before he knew it, she was running pass him and exiting the bedroom. He called out to her, running after her. She nearly tripped down the stairs and his fear gripped him tightly. He started down the stairs, three at a time, in attempt to catch her. She pushed her way out the front door, heading for the woods faster than what he originally thought she could do. He cursed, fear enveloping him as he took off after her.  She was across the street, staring into the woods. He let out a breath, relieved that she didn't go any further.

"What the hell are you doing?" He called out to her.

Julie stared at the wolf, knowing what was happening. She was dreaming again. She was chasing after her wolf's ghost once more into a place she didn't know. She didn't understand why her wolf haunted her all of the time - probably out of anger for what she's done. But she didn't know why she continued to chase either. She assumed it was because of hope, hoping that if she caught her wolf, somehow, things would be okay again. The wolf turned from her and disappeared into the woods. Her body naturally followed, running faster and harder than ever. She could feel the Earth beneath her feet. She could feel the cold air sting her face, numbing her skin. She could hear echoes of the night creatures. But all she could really focus on was the wolf she was chasing after.

Dresden chased after his mate, not sure what was bewitching her. His legs carried him faster, his feet stomping on the ground and providing more power. He didn't mind running this hard. It was easy for him. But he was definitely surprised that Julie could handle it. He just wasn't aware of what she was chasing.

He got tired of following her on two legs. Every time he would be close enough to grab her, she'd turn sharply, narrowly avoiding his capturing her. She was quick, docile even and he was getting frustrated at this game of hers so late in the night. He phased, instantly becoming more powerful and docile than before. He jumped over obstacles quickly, his eyes focusing on her random movements. He circled around her, looking to make sure she would meet up with him and then stopped, waiting for her to appear.

Julie saw her white wolf running. Her fur was glistening, the wind blowing through the soft coat. Julie was literally just three feet behind her, the closest she's ever been to catching her wolf. She reached out her hand, her skin tingling at the thought of feeling the fur once again. Then the white wolf vanished and a black one stood in her place. Julie gasped, tripping and falling onto the soft ground. Her mind relaxed and all she could think about was how much she hated herself for what she had done. She hated her sister, her brothers, her old friends and family. She could only think about all of the hate and frustration she felt, blaming everyone and then blaming herself.

Dresden quickly caught her on his back, shocked that she didn't even see him to stop in time. He growled lowly and nudged her with his head. She turned over, her eyes closed and her breathing normal. She as asleep! He couldn't even understand it. What was driving her so crazy to go sleep running in the middle of the woods?

He phased and caught her in his arms before she fell onto the ground. He carried her back to the pack house, holding her close to keep her warm. Her skin was freezing and she was shivering but she didn't wake up. Jack was sitting on the front porch, waiting for him. He looked tired but he was more curious than ever to what just happened. He could see that Dresden wasn't entirely sure of it himself and decided not to ask. He kept the door open as Dresden made his way inside, turning so as not to accidently hit her against the door frame. Jack remained by the door, locking both it and the screen door before doing the same at the back, just in case.

Dresden carried her up the stairs and gently laid her onto the bed. He brushed her hair out of her face, the little sweat she did manage had dried and she was sleeping peacefully now. He wiped her feet off and then slid the comforter over her, making sure she was entirely covered before sitting next to her. His thumb brushed against her soft skin and she leaned into his touch, letting out a soft sigh. He felt his wolf stir and knew that whatever she was hiding, whatever made her wolf leave was haunting her. It was tearing her apart and it wasn't good for her. He had to find out more and fast or she could possibly destroy both of them.

He wiped his own feet off, cursing the fact that he had to get dirty again when he just showered. He climbed into the bed, settling for less than half of the covers to let Julie stay warm. Just lying next to her, he could feel her shivering, the cold rising off of her skin. She would become sicker if he were to leave her alone like that. He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close, rubbing her arms and her back in hopes of sharing his warmth with her. She stirred next to him, mumbling something before resting her head on his chest and sighing away in sleepy content. He breathed, her scent invading his nose, finding the whole thing frustrating. Still, he couldn't help but feel relief knowing that he was able to hold her at times like this.