6. Alpha Challenge

Julie winced as she caught herself from falling over onto the desks next to her. Her ankle had caught itself in the basket underneath her chair thus causing an almost painful accidnet - something she didn't need. Her brothers were quick to rescue her, Zach catching her even, and they looked over her once more.

"I'm fine," She told them, standing on her ankle and feeling no pain. At least she didn't twist it. She did not need that to happen. They looked at her in disbelief but didn't say anything and instead led her through the desks and towards the exit. Then, Mrs. Silverstein - their English teacher - called the twins back in. They looked at her with identical expressions and she smiled back in reassurance. "I can get to class fine."

She entered the crowded hallway, constantly being pushed and shoved as she attempted to make her way through. She didn't really understand why the halls were like this all of a sudden. They were perfectly fine when she walked with her brothers before. She didn't hear anything about a celebrity visiting either. But now, it seemed like almost every push was meant for her.

"Julie!" She turned and found Trisha running up to her. The she-wolf glanced around the rogue girl and the pushing stopped. Everyone broke apart. Trisha touched her arm gently, glancing over her. "Are you alright?"

Julie was suddenly reminded of her older sister as she looked at the older she-wolf, sincerity in her eyes. She could tell that Trisha was a protective person naturally and it gave her a sense of relief. "I'm fine."

"You look lost." Trisha smiled, hooking her arm with Julie. "What class do you have?" Julie smiled at her and told her. Trisha immediately began to lead her away, down the oppisite direction. Julie mentally cursed at herself, feeling stupid.

"Thank you."

Trisha shrugged. "No problem. But you smell really good." Julie looked at her with a puzzled expression. She showered this morning - if that meant anything - but she was pretty sure her shampoo was unscented. James wasn't one for strong scents - it drove his nose and therefore him insane. It made him angrier so she avoided scented supplies like the plague.

"Um, thank you?" Trisha wrinkled her nose and pulled Julie forward once more.

"You should remember that all of the history and science classes are on this side of the building. You were heading for the arts and elective classes."

"Right," Julie mumbled.

Trisha lead her to the histroy class, taught by Mr. Alders. Julie gave her a grateful smile and went to walk inside but Trisha pulled her back.

"Listen, I know you aren't part of the packs yet and for whatever reason you aren't exactly like the rest of us. But if you need anything, I'm here for you. Okay?" Julie felt her chest ache at the words. She was both delighted and fearful of the offer. She knew she would never be like the rest of them was but the truth still hurt. It scared her.

But it was the first time that someone outside of her family offered her a hand. And she couldn't understand why.

"Thanks," She said. Trisha stared at her for a moment, contemplating on saying something else but she shook her head from the thought. She smiled and waved, disappearing back down the hall to leave Julie alone once again.

That didn't last though. Just as the bell was ringing, her brothers ran into the classroom giving Mr. Alders and Julie a sly grin before falling into empty seats next to her.

~~~

Dresden sat, leaned forward in his desk while his chemistry teacher rattled on about compounds and ions. He didn't pay attention - it wasn't something that he need to prefect his abilites as Alpha. That was the only reason he came to school in the first place. It was Jack's idea.

Right now, he wasn't focused on those duties though. He overheard Trisha speaking with Julie outside in the hallway, just across from his classroom. He didn't like the idea of Trisha getting close to his mate when she didn't even greet him. Plus, that only made it seem easier for Ollie to snatch up Julie and he wasn't about to let that happen. Julie will be his, completely. She will spend her days with him. He wouldn't let her do anything else otherwise.

When the bell rang and the period ended, he was the first person to leave the room. He leaned against the lockers next to her classroom and waited patiently. A few of the students - all Were - who came out were surprised by presence. Some growled lowly, some bowed their heads submissively, gretting him as Alpha. When she finally came out, he pulled her to the side, her skin soft under his.

"Julie!" He didn't get a chance to speak to her. Her brothers had pulled her out of his grasp and stood protectively in front of her. Dresden growled possessively, his eyes glaring at their skin contact. He heard one of them tell her to continue to class while the other one stood up to him.

"Do not touch my sister." He dared to demand. Dresden's inner wolf snarled, his vision going blurry for just a moment before gaining control.

"She's my mate." He retorted, his anger rising with every passing second.

"We know." The other brother stated. "That doesn't mean you can just touch her whenever you want."

"I think she's the only one who can make that decision." Dresden growled back at the two.

"Not right now she can't." The first brother argued, his fists balling at his sides. Dresden stepped closer to him, accepting the challenge.

"You're going to keep her from me?" He chuckled darkly, smirking at the idea of such a weak wolf going up against him. The brothers glared right back and for a moment, Dresden thought about phasing just to watch their scared faces. Then, Ollie had to ruin everything.

"If you want your mate so badly, claim her before I do." He smirked, capturing Dresden's attention completely. "Otherwise, you'll never get a hold of her."

Dresden let out a beastly snarl, his eyes darkening at Ollie's words. Ollie ignored him, turning to the twins. "Get to class." They seemed hesitant at first but then the later brother pulled on his twin's arm and they left. They halls were empty by now. Only a few students were left to run to class - if they dared to pass the two Alphas.

"Do you honestly think you can claim her before I do?" Ollie looked at Dresden with a bemused smirk, shrugging.

"Maybe, maybe not." He said. "Either way, you'll have to wait until Friday before she can truly be yours." He winked and then walked down the hall smoothly. Dresden watched his smug figure go and with a need to release his built up anger, he slammed his fist into the lockers. When he walked away, the lockers were dented pretty well and the janitor that looked over them later couldn't figure out what to do about them.