3. Swimming Fears

Julie woke up the next morning feeling her new bruises ache as she got out of her brother's bed. She looked around and found that they left a glass of water and some muscle relaxers for her to take on the nightstand. She couldn't thank them enough.

It took her a few moments to sit up  and stand. Her muscles were protesting so much against her, she didn't think she would be able to do it. When she finally managed to stand, she took deep breathes, feeling her muscles strain around her abdomen. She wondered about how the day would be like as she left her brother's room and began to get ready. She showered quickly and dressed into blue jeans, a tank top and pulled on a long sleeve shirt before she brushed her teeth and put on her eyeliner. She checked over her reflection, making sure that none of her bruises could be seen to avoid trouble. What her shirt didn't cover of her collar bone, her hair did. She made a mental note to be careful of that as she slipped into her converse and grabbed her bag, meeting her brothers outside. James had fallen asleep on the couch again, an empty beer can in his hand and the television set playing reruns of the Bourne series.

Andy held the door opened to his and Zach's silver Ford Focus for her as she fell into the back seat slowly, wincing. He closed the door and then opened his for the passenger seat. He adjusted the seat, pulling it forward to give her more room as Zach turned the key in the ignition and took off down the road.

"How are you feeling?" Andy asked, looking back at her with a soft glance. He couldn't see any of her bruises right now but he could tell they were there. She looked weaker than normal and he hated it. She shrugged, oblivious to his gritted teeth.

"Did you take your medicine?" Zach questioned, glancing at her through the rearveiw mirror.

"Yes," She sighed, leaning her head back and closing her eyes. Even when she cried herself to sleep, she didn't sleep well enough. She wished she'd stop having nightmares. One night of peaceful sleep would really help. That is all she asked for.

"Are you having more nightmares?"

"Guys, please, stop asking questions so early in the day." They laughed lightly but remained quiet the rest of the ride, talking to each other in silence.

As they pulled into the parking lot, the high school building towered tall over them. It was painted brown and had walkways with roofings sheltering them from any rain that might fall. There was a loop for buses and bright fluorescent lights lighting up the halls and classrooms inside. It was wide and had only two floors with the gym and indoor pool sitting in a seperate building to the left. It was a mostly academic prioritzed school, considering most of the student body were Were - a trait that could be considered unfair in athletic events. The school colors were orange and green; their mascot was, of course, a wolf. She remembers hearing that they did have annual events such as prom and a fair that helped to raise money for charities and donations to the school. Other than the Were factor, it was a decent, normal school.

"Didn't change too much," Zach stated, as pulled into a spot close enough to the front entrance. The three got out of the car and looked around. Zach was instantly distracted by the familiar scent once again. Who or what did it belong to?

"A lot of Were though," Andy commented, ignoring the building and glaring back at those who stared at them. He recognized some of them from last night at the field and his protective instincts were on high alert. "You should stay near us, Juls."

Julie looked at where her brother was staring at, a lot of eyes looking back at her. She became nervous instantly. Just a simple move, a stupid, wrong but simple move, and she could be in big trouble. A wrong look, an accident or even beating someone on a test score could mean the end of her. If she had her wolf, she wouldn't need to worry. But these guys were stronger than her. They could easily take her down if they wanted to.