24. Calming Down

Julie jumped when she heard one of the doors slam shut from the first floor. She couldn't imagine who it would be nor how someone could be that angry but as she heard the footsteps heading up the stairs, slamming onto the floor with anger, she only had one guess.

It had been a quiet morning. Mrs. Edwards was outside with the kids mostly, somewhere in woods where their echoes couldn't reach her. She didn't even think she had guards posted outside of her door but she didn't check. She didn't want it to seem like she was trying to escape again and she didn't want Dresden to find out. She's already caused him enough problems. So she ate her breakfast quietly, making sure she finished every bite and then spent the morning writing in her journal. Her conversation with Dresden had filled her mind until she finally shook herself out of it. Now, she was listening to an IPod - something that Dresden allowed her to have as a treat for eating lunch the other day.

The door opened and Dresden appeared, looking entirely pissed of. She thought that someone must've pulled a fast one over him - someone like a devil that Dresden couldn't touch. Something like that would most definitely prode at his pride.

He slammed the door shut and she flinched. He ignored her, completely oblivious to her presence as he fell onto the bed, making her bounce. For a moment, she thought he might have forgotten she was there. She peered over him, moving gently across the bed so as not to disturb him. All he did was take a very deep sigh and release it shakily over and over again. She leaned back in her seat, turning off the Ipod and setting it on the pillow next to her.

"Are...Are you alright?" She asked, her voice quiet and nervous, terrified that she might only anger him more by proding into his business.

"No." He plainly answered, his voice harsh. She winced at the tone, sounding similar to James. She stayed still, biting her lip, unsure of what to do or say.

"Do...you want to talk about it?" She ventured. He sat up, throwing his legs over the side of the bed and facing the wall opposite of her. She couldn't see his face or read his expression but she could tell from his muscles that he was tense. There was something that was really troubling him. She reached out, almost as if she was going to touch him, her instincts taking over and stopped herself, drawing herself back to her seat.

"We're in war." She heard him mumble and she stared at him in shock. Her own heart raced and her stomach flipped. The term brought back horrible memories and she felt herself shake with fear.

"War?"

"There's nothing you can do." He told her. She tried to strengthen her voice, to cover her own fear as she stared at his back. She thought of all of the possibilites - all of the people who might want to start a war with Dresden. She could only think of one. And it terrified her.

"Can you tell me why?" He faced her sharply, his lips set in a scowl.

"No, I can't fucking tell you why! That fucking bastard made fell for some stupid rumors and now the dumbass wants to fucking fight!" Julie shrunk back, wincing at his yelling as she cradled herself against the headboard. He sighed and started to pace back and forth in anger. She peered up at him, waiting for him to look a little more calm before speaking.

"What were the accusations?" Her voice was small and shaking but she felt proud of herself for asking anyway. He continued to pace, thinking long and hard to himself as she waited.

"I don't know." He admitted. "Something about expanding my lands and holding Trisha against him." Julie leaned forward, more interested in the accusations than ever.

"As in Ollie's sister Trisha? Zach's mate?" He looked back at her, nodding his head and she panicked. She remembered the last time she saw Trisha, standing next to her brother looking extremely happy, almost giving her a promise that she'd look after her brothers. "Is she missing?"

"Apparently," Dresden sighed again, falling back onto the bed. She bounced once more from his weight and he growled in frustration. Julie wanted to laugh at the sound of it but she knew this wasn't the time for it. She thought hard about Trisha - how she was the first friend Julie really made since coming here. Her mind raced with thoughts of war and Trisha being a missing victim, she couldn't help but recall past events. The poison of the memories gripped her and she squeezed her fist in attempt to control them.

"What about my brothers?" She asked, thinking of Andy and Zach. Ollie never seemed like a person who would get upset over rumors and spit out accusations without evidence - even if his sister was missing. Her brothers didn't have that in their characters either. For them to accuse Dresden so easily, there must've been information given to them by someone they trusted. A third person, hiding in the shadows who wanted this to happen. Or it might not have concerned Dresden at all. It was mating season and wolves and she-wolves got jealous quickly. What if it was someone who wanted Zach's attention or even Ollie's? He was close to his sister.

"What about them?" She looked at Dresden, who gave her a curious expression.

"Did they accuse you of this too? They know I'm here so why don't they just ask me?" Dresden groaned, feeling miserable.

"Because they know you're in my pack. They would suspect that I make sure you won't say anything because I have that power over you. They wouldn't believe anything you had to say." Julie glared at him, anger filling her body.

"That's not true." She argued, making him stare up at her in surprise. "Think what you want about the packs but my brothers and I are stronger than that. They would know if I was keeping something from them, even if you use your Alpha status to make me stay quiet. They'd figure it out easily."

"Well, you've been here resting. There's nothing I can do about it now." She scoffed at him, making him sit up.

"Like hell you can't do anything about it." She blushed at her words, surprised by her tone. He inwardly chuckled at her, amused by her cursing for the first time in front of him. "Sorry, but it's true. You could just let me go to school." She stated calmly. He stared hard at her, thinking over her suggestion seriously.

"Life your shirt." She reddened, freezing in place. He let out a smirk. "So I can see your wounds." She bit her lip and sat up straight, nervously lifting her shirt to reveal her stomach. He frowned at her, glancing over her bruises.

"No," She glanced at him in shock. "You aren't fully healed yet. If you go now, you could make it worse. Wait it out a few more days and we'll see how you are then." She let out a sigh of frustration, dropping her shirt.

"Fine," She agreed. He turned away from her, glaring at the wall again and she leaned towards him. "What are you going to do though?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "Ollie and his pack want war because of Trisha. Even if I tell him I don't have her, he won't believe me. He's too caught up in rage and worry. I've got to find out where this whole land expansion thing is coming from too."

"Jack's usually good with rumors or so he says. Maybe he can help find where it started?" Julie suggested. Dresden nodded in agreement, finding her suggestion helpful. He looked back at her, relieved to know that he didn't terrify her with his anger. He had felt calmer once he inhaled her scent but after talking to her and just being with her, he felt more at ease. He knew she would make a good Alpha mate and he couldn't wait to make it official.

A knock came from the door before Julie could ask why he was staring at her and he stood up to answer it. He brought back a tray filled with food and she sighed in agony, her stomach feeling sick. He chuckled, setting it down in front of her.

"Eat up." He told her and then left. Julie slowly picked at her food, her mind focused on Dresden.

Why was he staring so hard at her? Did she remind him of his mate?