21. The Enemy (short!)

The wolves cowered in fear. The powerful beast in front of them was all too nightmarish for them to think clearly. Its power was overwhelming and dark, riding over them like a black mist, suffocating them. They whimpered, bowing their heads and falling to the ground, showing their undersides. Their bodies were shaking in fear. The terrifying power that overcame them was unlike anything they have ever felt before. It was vengeful, it was sin. It was Beelzebub reincarnated. They could only beg for mercy.

The intruders were a pack that came out of nowhere. They were fast and powerful, too strong to be rationalized in time for one to defend himself. Only an hour ago, the entire pack - however small - was enjoying themselves. They were talking and laughing, enjoying the presence of one another. Their Alpha had left to check on the borders but they didn't need to worry. They focused on each other, hormones taking control and the beasts inside guiding them to each other like moths to a flame. Then, a howl broke through and everything changed.

A battle, so gruesome and violent, took place that known of them knew how to defend themselves before they too were beaten badly. Were after Were fell by each other, one after the other, in mere seconds. They attempted to work together, to take out as much of the enemy as they possibly could. For a few moments, it seemed to be working. But then, the intruders revealed that they were just playing with them. They were just mere toys for them to chew on.

Teeth sunk into fur. Bones were cracked and broken, lungs were crushed. Blood had stained the entire battlefield, appearing on grass and trees, dirt and rock. It dripped from their fur, blinding some and slowly killing others. They snarled and were met with sharp teeth and fierce strength. Only a few of them finally figured out that submitting was their only option.

They were cornered now, the entire intrusive pack locking them in. The youngest of the packs, the kids who couldn't phased who had soiled themselves out of fear, were trapped on the other side, shaking and crying. Their elders, the rest of their family that remained, could do nothing to help them.

The monstrous beast, taller than any of them, walked towards them. His was filled with power that ran through his veins and his muscles, naturally pouring out like he was an overfilled pot. His wolf, as black as a starless sky, was vicious. His eyes were red with excitement.

Only the bravest of the survivors, as terrified as he was, greeted him. He meet with the dark one and shakily asked for his name. He could barely meet those red eyes.

Dresden, the black wolf answered, his voice covered with venom. The brave wolf could do nothing but fall down, into the lowest form of submission, attempting to show as much respect as possible. This land belongs to me now.