43. Miranda Part 2

Jack leaned back in his seat in a bored manner. With his free hand, he tapped against the wheel to make beats, adding a noise with his mouth here and there. It was all he could do to keep his mind off of the threatening atmosphere surrounding him. He even, at one point, began to headbang until he started feeling like an idiot and stopped. He turned on the radio but it only kept fading in and out, making white noise. It sent shivers down his spine. He knew it was because of a witch nearby. He sighed and looked back at the trees for the millionth time.

"Still no Julie," He muttered, his panic rising. It had already been a good thirty minutes since she left and despite her telling him not to, he was seriously about to get out of the car and go look for her. She was the Alpha mate and if anything had happened to her while he was just sitting here, singing to himself, he would kill himself. He couldn't even hear anything with his Were ears that might give him some kind of clue as to how she was faring. There weren't any birds that chirped in the air and for as long as he's been sitting here, not one car has drove by. He would open the door a little just to see if he could pick up some kind of life but the tense atmosphere gave him a headache and made his wolf irritated. So he stayed in the car, sitting in the uncomfortable position with minor adjustments here and there.

Suddenly, he had an itch. He groaned, trying once again to stick his finger into his arm cast far enough to reach the annoying spot. But it was hopeless. The day he was able to take this damn thing off is the day he will scratch like he could never be fully satisfied.

A vibration started in his pocket and he gulped, nervoulsy pulling it out. The loud ringtone of Bad to the Bone echoed loudly in the car. He knew exactly who was calling him.

"You're dead." He was greeted, inwardly groaning at the dark voice. Julie owed him a lot for this little trip of hers. He was already making a list of things she could do to repay him.

"Yeah, I figured." He sighed. "But wait! Who was it that got Julie to admit she forgives you?"

"I don't care about that." Dresden growled back. Jack could feel his anger even though he was nowhere near him. The tensity in his voice made Jack want to cringe. Clearly, Dresden's very dark demeanor was threatening to break loose. "Where is she?"

"That's something I'd like to know." Jack mumbled, staring out the window and into the trees. "She disappeared into the woods earlier."

"What woods?"

"Some woods off the side of the road," Jack sighed in frustration, feeling a new itch in his cast. "She said it's safer for the both of us if I stayed here."

"And you just let her go?"

"Well, she knows this area better than I do. If she says its safer for the both of us then I'm going to do as she says for her protection." Jack argued, hoping that somehow Dresden would understand his actions. "Do you know what kind of friend she has who'd be living this close to a bitch?"

"It's Miranda," Dresden explained. "She's a witch."

Jack's hand fell off of the steering wheel and onto the horn, making him jump back. He winced, gritting his teeth before staring out the woods.

"I am so going to murder your mate, Dres," he told his Alpha with a growl. "What the hell is she doing with a witch?" 

"I don't know," Dresden admitted. Jack could hear the worry and the tension building up in his voice. He could mentally picture the pack being extremely cautious and terrified of their Alpha. It was only a matter of time before Dresden himself came here to drag Julie back. "How long has she been gone?"

"Thirty-nine minutes." He answered. "She said she didn't know how long she'd be."

"Damn it," Dresden cursed.