13. Pack House

Julie woke up the next morning, feeling sore and achy. Her bruises retaliated against her as she attempted to sit up. The early morning sun shone down on her, birds chirped nearby and with a light chilly breeze, she knew winter was nearing its prime. She shivered, pulling her jacket closely around her and throwing her legs over the swing. Then she realized, her jacket had been torn when Dresden got angry with her last night. Whose jacket was this? 

She walked to the back door, knocking in hopes of her father letting her in. Instead, she found it unlocked and quietly snuck inside, her father passed out in his recliner with a few more cans of beer than usual lying around him. She must've really pissed him off yesterday.

Julie took a hot shower, letting the heat roll over her skin and wake her body up. Her muscles ached and her bruises were sorer than ever. She washed her hair as much as possible but her colalr bone had her wincing. Once she finished, she quickly dressed in sweatpants and a tank top, slipping into a sweatshirt. She made her way downstairs to make breakfast before her father was up and angry at her again. She did not want to spend the night outside again.

By the time breakfast was finished, James was awake and he had entered for his usual coffee. He took his plate of food and left without a word or glance towards her. She released a breath, thankful that he decided to ignore her. She took what he left, taking slow, shaky bites before cleaning up and escaping to her bedroom - the only place he did not enter.

Her journal was hidden in her night stand at the corner of her room, just under a few academic books. She pulled it out, wrapped herself up in a blanket and started to write about yesterday's events. Rose and her brothers thought that if she started writing down her thoughts, she wouldn't have been so scarred by her past and could sleep normally again. Sometimes, she felt that it was really helping but other times, it just didn't do anything for her.

She shivered, snuggling up further into the blanket. She still felt cold even after a hot shower and being close to the indoor heater. If she were herself, she wouldn't have felt so cold. She wouldn't have even needed a jacket. But she did need one. And she was glad that she had one last night - wherever it came from.

It laid across her bed in a folded fashion, facing her while she was staring at it. When did she get it? She wondered if one of her new pack mates had set her up for doom by stealing it from the Alpha or even the beta. She was practically the omega of the pack now. It was naturally for omegas to be set up by thier superiors.

She shook her head of that thought, looking out her window. She had no idea why anyone would have wanted her in a pack. She didn't have any use to offer. She couldn't support the pack in a war. She couldn't even teach young ones how to control their wolves. She didn't have the same senses anymore. She would always need someone to clarify things like that for her. She would never be able to keep up with anyone on her two legs. All she could do was cook and clean and Weres had no use for that. They were usually neat themselves and cooking was essential when starving was natural.

Julie heard the door open and close and then two voices exchanged with James in the living room. She lsitened carefully before footsteps neared her door and she tensed.

"Juls?" Her door opened slowly, revealing her brothers who smiled at her with toothy grins. "Hey!" Zach gave her a light hug, careful of her bruises while Andy sat next to her.

"Hi," She greeted softly, relunctant to let go of her brother. His warmth was seeping through her clothes and she could only shiver at the feeling.

"How are you doing?" Andy asked, raising his eyebrow at the folded jacket. He glanced at Zach and she noticed they were having a secret conversation from her. She realized she couldn't listen in even if she wanted to. They were from another pack now. Their minds belonged to Ollie.