Chapter 10- The Plan

Have you ever wondered why bad things happen to good people? Is it a test of strength or are the bad people in the world generally favored?

I pondered this thought as Lindella made her way over to my house. She sounded so distraught on the phone; I was worried. Lindella was usually a super bubbly, sometimes chill girl who always saw the good in people, no matter who they were. She even saw the good in Stephanie Black; which I don't understand. I mean who can see good in the devil?!

I heard the front door open and close. I remained laying in bed staring at the ceiling, Collin's rejection still implanted in my brain.

Never mind. It was a mistake to ask.

A mistake, a mistake, a mistake.

As much as I wanted to hate him, I couldn't. Every time the word 'hate' flashed through my mind, my lips tingled to remind me that I actually don't, can't, and won't ever hate him.

I could hear my door open and soon I looked over to see Lindy's mix match socks. Her brown curly hair was in a very loose bun on her shoulders. Her eyes were red and puffy and consisted of no makeup. I looked very similar except my blond hair was wet and on top of my head in a very messy bun.

I rearranged my sweatpant clad legs to make room for Lindella to sit down.
"Hi" I tried to break the silence; it was slowly growing awkward.

She continued to stare past my head as if she never heard what I said. There was a blank, distant look in her eyes. I didn't like it.

"You know Christopher... I don't understand people." Lindy finally spoke, her eyes glancing at me briefly before focusing on nothing in particular behind me.

I didn't know what to say besides: Me neither.

There was another silence before I decided to break it again.
"So, um, what did you want to tell me?"

She shut her eyes before taking a deep breath. "You first." Her eyes flickered to meet mine again and this time, she held her gaze.

I stared into her deep brown eyes before giving her the whole recap on Collin.
She stayed quiet the whole time, watching me carefully. Every hand gesture I made, she followed. It was actually kind of creepy, but I made no comment.
It was silent after I finished. I couldn't tell how she felt. Usually, her emotions and feelings are displayed on her face; she was like an open book, but now, she looked impassive.

"You like him." I looked at her. It wasn't a question. It was a statement. I thought about it. Did I like Collin Coleman?

"I don't know. I thought I did.... But he's being a butthole so I don't even know anymore..." I was honestly starting to change my mind.

Lindella looked at me like I was weird but then shook it off and shrugged her shoulders as if to say 'oh well'.

I scowled at her briefly before asking her what she had to tell me.

It was silent again, until she parted her full lips and said the four words I didn't want to hear.

"He cheated on me."

Everything went quiet after that.

"Oh... Um... Sorry."

There was a whimper on her part as a response. Her thick hair had fallen out of her bun and cascaded down her back. She was hunched over;. her curls fell around her shoulders covering her and in that moment, I couldn't understand why anyone would cheat on such a beautiful girl.

I moved to give her a hug. I've never actually comforted someone so this would be a learning experience.

"No." She looked up. My comforting smile faltered.