Chapter 3- See you later, Carl.

Lindella and I walked out of the gym side by side, panting and groaning every time our muscles moved. We sounded like a mix between a woman in labor and a zombie. We received a few glances from other students. I glared at them and they went back to their business.

I sighed and waved goodbye to Lindella, wincing at the effort of raising my arm as she stepped into her Escalade. Taking my time, I threw my gym bag into the passenger seat on top of my book bag, and then slowly lowered myself into the driver seat.

I desperately needed a warm shower to relieve my muscles. I quickly backed out of my parking space and blasted One Step Closer by Linkin Park. Most people were surprised when they found out about my obsession with Linkin Park.

“EVERYTHING YOU SAY TO ME!!! Takes me one step closer to the edge and I’M ABOUT TO BREAK!! I NEED A LITTLE ROOM TO BREATH!! Cause I’m one step closer to the edge and I’m about to-AAHH!!” I slammed on the brake of my car, ending my carefree speeding adventure.

I took a few deep breaths as I stopped a few feet in front of the line of football players leaving the field and advancing towards the locker rooms. My hand flew to my chest as I gulped my surrounding air, trying to catch my breath. As a result, my nose scrunched up involuntarily.

The stench of sweat and, oddly enough, urine clouded the air. I gagged until I noticed someone I knew.

“Lucas!!” His head snapped up and I swear I saw droplets of sweat fly off his hair. I waved and sent a smile in his direction. He returned it and I waved back, his helmet still in his hand.

“Chris! Hey! What’s up?” He walked over to my car and stood by my door.

“Just finished volleyball tryouts. I didn’t know you played football.” I noticed that the line of guys hadn’t moved. I glared, my eyes meeting their curious ones. I honked on the horn and they snapped out of their trances. I turned down the volume to Crawling and turned back to Lucas once the line started to move again.

“Yup. I’m the quarterback.” He puffed out his chest and I laughed.

“Cool.” I flashed him a smile before waving him off into the direction of the locker rooms. He frowned before realizing that I meant well and thought that he needed to wash up, as did I. And no, he didn’t read my mind, I actually told him, but I still felt that people could read minds thanks to Mr. Rudolf.  

He shot me one last smile before disappearing into the sea of guys waiting to get into the locker rooms. I turned up the volume again in time to hear the bridge to In the End as I sped out of the school road area and sped towards my house.

I pulled up into the driveway and shut off my car. Inside, I dropped my bags off in my room and ran to the kitchen grabbing the peanut butter container and the package of Oreo cookies before racing back to my room. All thoughts of taking a shower disappeared as I plopped down on my bed to do my homework. I removed my contacts and put on my glasses. And yes… they were the big framed ones. (Not everyone could have 20/20 vision).