Chapter 22

~~~Days Later, Aunjel~~~

I looked in the mirror at my attire for my dad's funeral. Black fitted skinny leg pants, a white fluffy dress shirt, and a black cardigan. I fixed Aug's tie for him admiring how good he looked. I honestly don't know if I could have made without Aug. We been through so much already.

I walked down stairs to a living room full of people. I had been staying at Arella's house since that night. I still hadn't been back to my house since so I had bought a couple of new outfits until I could get my stuff.

Arella and the rest of my family rode in the limo and me and Aug took my car. The car ride to the church was silent. I was shaking as if I was cold because I had so many emotions and I had never been to a funeral before. Thank God August drove.

We finally arrived at the church. I could feel myself starting to cry but I looked up and fanned my eyes to avoid messing up my make up.

August grabbed my hand. "You good ma'?"

"I don't know. I honestly don't know baby."

He grabbed my hand and kissed it. "Come on. I gotchu."

We got out the car and walked hand in hand to the church doors. It was very packed in the inside and it was a big church. But this is what to expect from someone who was so loved. I miss my daddy.

We got close to the doors that lead us to the casket. I stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"Aug I can't go in there." I was trying told back tears but they were coming.

"You have to. If you don't go in there you might regret it." He put his arm around me and we walked up to the casket.

The walk from the doors to the casket seemed like an eternity but in actuality it was only a minute. I stopped dead in my tracks once I seen my daddy's lifeless, cold body lying in the casket.

"Daddy?" I whispered.

In my heart I wished he would answer me back but he didn't. If I could hear 'I love you baby girl' just one more time.

I touched the lining of the collar on his tux. "I love you daddy. Please watch over me and visit me." I kissed his cheek and sat down.

I sat beside the family but I was snuggled up under Aug the whole time. I laid my head on his chest as the funeral officially began.

The funeral went for two hours. Laughs were shared, good memories, and even a few tears but it was a beautiful home going service for my daddy.

Everybody exited the church and made their way to the burial site. This would be the hardest part for me.

August grabbed my hand. "You ok ma'?"

"I guess so. I just wish none of this ever happened. If I hadn't open that door for Cortez that night I could be talking to my dad right now instead of driving to his funeral."

"Stop blaming ya self ma....wait why you bring up Cortez?"

"Come on now babe did you really think Cortez was going to let somebody shoot him and get away with it? He's going to get his!"

"I hope you not gone do no stupid shit."

"Oh I don't have to do anything. I'll leave it all up to my uncle Ronnie."

"Who's your uncle Ronnie?"

"He was only the most notorious mobster in New Jersey! He's my grandfathers baby bother. Ronaldo 'Baby Face Ron' Graziana."

"And how old is he?"

"56. He can either torture Cortez til he wants to kill himself or he can flat out kill the nigga. I think he should secretly torture Cortez." A smirk appeared across my face.

"Ma' you better not get into nothing and I mean that. You let yo uncle do what he gotta do. I'm not Finna lose you behind Cortez ass."

"You're not going to lose me." I gave him a kiss as the car stopped.

We were finally at the burial ground. August and I got out the car and walked hand in hand to my dad's grave. The preacher said a few nice words that I could barely hear over the intense crying and nose blowing.
It was finally time for them to lower the casket. Each time they lowered the casket my heart sank. That bad girl shit I was talking went away. I could feel those tears coming down but August held me. I cried in his chest.

"What did I do to deserve this Aug?"

"Shhh ma'. It's gone be ight."

"Aug I can't take this. Like forreal."

"I know baby. I know."

He held me for the rest of the time reassuring me that things will be ok. I took his word.

Sorry it's short!!!

Comment what you think!!!

😊😊😊