Chapter 20

I sped to my house with August in the passenger side. A whirl of emotions filled my head but I had to stay focused on the street in front of me. I came to a stop because EMTs, Police cars, and Fire trucks were in my yard. I went around it and parked behind Arella's car, who's car was parked behind a mysterious blue Honda. I got out the car with August behind me. I could barely see because the tears that were sitting up in my eye blocked my vision. I ran halfway to my door where I seen a cop putting "police tape" around my front door. I tried running quickly but a cop stopped me.

"You can't go in there young lady."

"I live here dammit! I can do whatever I damn well...." I stopped mid sentence when I saw a body wrapped in a bloody sheet on the stretcher that was being hauled out my house.

"Is that my dad?" My heart sank in my stomach.

I tried running but the cop had a grip on me. I kicked and screamed for him to let me go but he wouldn't.

"Ma'am you need to calm down." The cop said carelessly.

~~~August~~~

"Aye nigga you ain't got no type of sympathy for this girl yo. G shit let her go I got her."

I was mad at how the cop was showing no sympathy to Aunjel's feelings. When she stopped fighting back he released her from his grip. She fell to the ground and broke down. I fell with her.

"Aug my daddy on that stretcher." She cried. "It's all my fault. I shoulda stayed home."

I held her in my arms like my moms held me when I was younger and I was sad about something.

"It's not your fault ma'."

I looked up to Ms. Arella and another older lady approaching me. They both looked as if they had been crying. I got up and brought Aunjel up with me letting her cry into the crook in my neck. I soothed her as I talked with the ladies.

"Chris got shot." Arella said in between sniffles. "He's dead."

Aunjel cried harder and harder while the other lady tried soothing her. "Your daddy is in a better place now baby, you have to be strong for him. He taught you to be strong and that's a piece of him that will forever live in you."

Aunjel loosened up and wiped her face a bit. "I know Ms. Johansen. Thank you."

"I'm going home now. Please call me if you need anything." Ms. Johansen said as she walked away.

Aunjel got out of my grip and sat on the ground. I sat beside her.

"Aunjel, I know you're upset baby, I am too but we both gotta be strong and keep your dad's memory alive." Arella said stooping down to her level.

"Yea..."

"Here." Arella gave her a gold chain that belonged to her dad.

"Thanks...."

I excepted her to get smart but she didn't. Arella rubbed her back and walked away.

~~~Aunjel~~~

I held my daddy's gold chain in my hand. In my mind I hoped that this all was just a bad dream but it wasn't. In a matter of weeks I had lost my daddy. He was my hero, my everything, and I lost my baby. My child. At least I know he/she is in heaven with his/her Nonno.

"What you thinking about baby?"

"How now that my dad is gone I have nobody. I never would have thought this past June was going to be my last Father's Day with him. I wish I didn't leave the house but at least I got to tell him I love him."

"Baby you not alone, you still got me, yo uncles, yo grandpa, my family, Ms. Johansen, and Arella." Aug said rubbing my back.

"Yea you're right baby. And I got my big brother and my sis in law."

"And you got me...."

I turned around and looked up to see Kelly towering over me.

Soooooooo y'all liking it???

Feedback is important!

Kelly's back!!!! 😒😑😐😶

How y'all feel about that???