Chapter 20

Thanksgiving
4:56 pm

"DINAAAAAAAAAAH."
"That's my name." This girls getting on my last nerve.

"When are we supposed to be ready?" Lauren asks sarcasticly. "An hour ago." I groan in the pillow that was thrown at me moments earlier. "EXACTLY, get your @ss up." She whacks my head with another pillow.

"Tell my mom I'm sick. I can't come." She crawls next to me, "Are you actually sick?" I nod,"I don't feel well..."

Lauren slowly nods, "You're nervous, but why?" I roll over to face her, "You're right. I'll get up." She smiles lovingly. I had already gotten halfway dressed, then I started thinking. I started to feel sick thinking about my grandparents not accepting me. So I decided to burry myself in sheets not having to come out to them. Lauren was right.

I finish getting myself ready and ask Lauren to drive. "Lauren." I say barely audible. "Yes, baby?" She responds softly. "I love my grandparents. It hurts me to think they won't accept us. I'm scared that when I tell them, they'll want nothing to do with me. I was really scared earlier."

Lauren nods understandingly. "They love you right," I nod, "then they should love you for you. Even if they do feel disappointed or let down in a way, they'll eventually come around... They always do." She reassures.  That's all she had to do to lift my mood. I was still nervous, but a little less scared.

"I love you." I whisper. "I love you more."

5:39 pm

I guess you can say we were fashionable late... Nah, but people were already finished eating desert. I was instantly greeted by faces I haven't seen in almost a year. More cousins, aunts, and uncles to introduce to Lauren.

Immediately after I got to everyone, Lauren and I rushed to the food before there was no more. She willingly tried everything that was put in front of her, I'm surprised.

"I kinda was expecting you not to want this." I said pointing to the foreign dish. She shrugs and continues eating, "It's good."

"I'm glad you think that, makes it easier for my fam to like you." I quietly cheer. "Speaking of fam, did you tell them?" Lauren swallows hard. I shake my head.

"I will... When we're done." Well, might as well get this over with. And we were finished in only a few minutes. I nervously made my way around the house scanning for the people I was looking for, then soon spotted them.

Luckily my mom and aunt were talking to my grandparents at that time so I could just ease my way in the conversation.

I pull my mom to the side and ask, "Does grandma and grandpa know about my relationship?"  She makes a face then shakes her head. "Should I tell them?" I ask hesitantly. "Uhm. If you want to. I'm not going to make you."

I sigh and turn to face them, "Alright." I nervously smile waiting for the conversation to seise.

"So, how's your day been going?..." I wait for their response and nod when I get one. ", Ya, the food was lit..." Awkward pause, "Uhm... I see you haven't meet m- Lauren." Oh my gosh, I'm such a fail. Lauren proceeds to shake hands with my grandparents while trying to hold in a slightly disappointed laugh.

"We're, uh, together..." Slightly shorter pause, "I-I just wanted to tell you guys... that." My mom legit walks away shaking her head, but gets stopped in her tracks from my grandpa calling her name.

"Mom... Will you elaborate?" I ask my mom who was now walking back. Lauren sighs annoyed at my inability to make my self more clear.

"They're an official romantic couple, you didn't have to make it so vague." She direct the last part to me.

A long, painful silence is held between the five of us until my mom tries to walk away again, but is stopped by her name being called. "Why do you allow this?" My grandfather speaks.

I can almost physically feel my fears engulf my body from hearing those words. "I won't stop my kids from loving. She's grown, she could be with whoever she wants." My mom defends.

"I'd expect you to teach them better. To let them know that is not right." He continues and I feel like fried bag of oil not being able to talk and wanting to just hide from the world.

My mom hesitantly opens her mouth to say something, but shuts it when Lauren speaks under her breath, "I'd expect you to know it isn't something we can control."

I turn from my mom to face Lauren. Tears were daring to spill from my eyes and just from Lauren's expression I could tell she wanted nothing more, but a better outcome.

I redirect my attention to the more seasoned people. "Grandma, are you ok with us?" I ask desperate for a different answer. The lady rests her hand against her chest and smiles sympathetically, "I want you to be happy... but this is just not what God has planned for you." Oh don't start. He knows what happens start to end, if he doesn't want something like this that bad he won't make it happen, simple as that.

I sigh and internally break down. I most likely look very dead on the outside, but yes, that is also how I feel on the inside. Why couldn't they just be happy for me? I found someone that I actually love and they actually love me back. I finally fell in love with a beautiful soul. Why can't they accept it?

I'm snapped out of my thoughts from Lauren practically dragging me out the door and to the car.

"I'm sorry." She apologizes whole heartedly. "Don't apologize, it's not your fault. I'm just grateful I had to go through this with you and not... You know who." I smile sadly.

"How about this? We go cuddle and watch movies, we can even order a billion deserts. Does that sound good?" She locks her hand with mine. Wow, I honestly couldn't have asked for anyone better.

"That sounds perfect."