Chapter 22

New Years Eve
11:58 pm

"Stop splashing me, child! It's like... way past your bedtime." I push my overly hyper little sister away from me. Not saying I don't want her around me, just not now.

Fireworks were already going off. Lauren, my siblings and parents, and I are all settled at our hotel pool which has a bar on the water and a great view of the pier hosting the fireworks. Plus, it isn't packed here so my brothers can be a bunch of hooligans.

I take a seat at the bar next to Lauren, simply just to be next to her. "Hey, Lauser." She turns to me with bright eyes. Almost as if they were sparkling from the reflection of on going fireworks.

"Hey, babyyy." She cheeses. "You're so cute and beautiful and just... agh, perfect." I place my hand on my head dramatically. "Aw. I love you..." She captures my face to connect our lips quick yet lovingly, "You're the perfect one."

"This year has been one hell of 365 interesting days." I sigh. "You're right about that. I met you. And Camila and Mani. People I want to keep in my life for as long as I can. Especially you."

D*mn, she's so right. "It's 1 minute to tomorrow!" My mom announces. "C'mon, get a little more wet with me." I wink sliding off the stool down into the water.

"I'm ok." She giggles, winking back. I'm not taking that. "Ok."

Hehe. I sneak behind her and roughly grab her waist, holding her against my stomach. "DiNaaaAAh!" Lauren flails feeling the cool water rise up her body. "That's cold!" She pouts, crossing her arms over her chest once fully in the water.

"It feels nice, what do you mean." I cuddle her apologetically. "It's whatever." She mumbles into my neck.

"10!" "Oh, they're counting down." I lift my head from Lauren's. "9! 8! 7! 6!" She softly presses her lips against my neck and simply listens to the count down. "5! 4! 3! 2! 1! Happy New Year! WOOOOOOOO!"

New Years

I turn Lauren around to where I'm hugging her from the back so she may see the show of fireworks. Wow, the new years starting off just right. "Happy New Years, princess." I speak softly in her ear. She twists herself in my arms and kisses me passionately. And boy oh boy, that was the most I felt in a good while.

I softly moan into the kiss. "Ew!" No tf she didn't, "Gina! Why?" I lift up my hand in the slapping preparation while she tries her best to scurry away in the water.

"I'm sorry." I say to a giggling Lauren, she's a bit tipsy isn't she? Ya. "It's all cool, baby girl."

The first hour of the first day of the year was actually perfect. When getting back to the hotel, we both shower and get into bed. We didn't necessarily want to sleep. I get up and rummage through my bag. Found it.

I swiftly take out the medium sized, blue, cylindrical speaker and connect it to my phone. I glance over to Lauren sprawled out on the bed, staring at the ceiling, having no intention to drift of to sleep.

I put on Garden by SZA. The volume soft. Placing the speaker on the dresser, I climb on to the bed and straddle Lauren. No sexual intentions here. She removes her eyes from the popcorn ceiling to lock them with mine.

"I really like this song." She places her hands on my bare thighs. "I know you do." I cheekily smile. She sits up and wraps her arms around my waist and let's her head fall into my chest. I move my hands to play with her hair and I rest my head on top of hers.

We sit there for the duration of the song until Lauren speaks up. "Dinah, I love you. Why is it so hard for me to love myself?" I'm completely taken back from what I just heard. I lift my head in utter shock and look around the room.

"I just want to understand." Her voice cracking as she slumps further. I grab her shoulders and straighten her up again. In serious thought at her question, I lift her head to look up at me.

I sigh, "I believe you can love yourself. No ones stopping you, I love you, it takes time. Trust me..." I smile softly recalling the few first times we hung out, "You stopped cutting, Lauren, that's a big step closer to fully loving yourself."

There's a momentary silence, "I'd like to believe that and I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the same urge I had then is the same urge I have now. The only reason I don't take action is you. I don't want to disappoint you and I don't want you to feel like you're not making me feel loved, because I do feel loved, it's just self - love is a whole different need. And no matter how much I try, I simply can't find it." She trembles from the pain of a sob she's keeping well held in.

Now I'm completely out of words. I just want to hold her and let her cry out all her feelings. "Baby... I'm so sorry you feel like this." I wrap my arms around her and hold her close. I feel her break down in my arms and I can't help but hold her tighter.

"I- I don't know what to say. I want help, but fixing this may be beyond my capabilities." She sniffles, "I'm not expecting you to fix it. I don't think anyone can."

I let go of her and get up to turn of the lights. She lays back down and gets under the sheets. Settle Down is playing softly, which I decide on keeping on.

I lay down facing her and she cuddles into my chest, "Goodnight." I tilt her face up to level with mine, "Nighty night, I love you." I kiss her softly. "I love you more."