Vacation <3 (Prologue)

“…because the Lord thy God shall bless thee in all thine increase, and in all the works of thine hands, therefore thou shalt surely rejoice.”

Deuteronomy 16:15 b (KJV)

.~.~.~.~.~.

Prologue- Vacation <3

            Louis-

            My Mum had always told me, “You’re gonna find a good girl someday, Louis. It just takes time.” Well, I had news for her, time was here, and time was flying fast. Any girl I could possibly find… well, she generally wasn’t worth having. She would either be too caught up in the band, crushing on Harry or Zayn, or she would simply want me for what I could give her. I felt as though I was never wanted because of me.

            I had never told Mum such things… she would never understand why I needed companionship so greatly. So I kept to myself, cracking jokes around the boys and keeping my feelings hidden. I recalled a day when I could just chill out with the guys in my apartment. One day in particular, Zayn had gotten a bit crazy on an energy drink, and deciding to play around, began spastically slinging his legs around. Before we knew it, the five of us were doing the same little dance, laughing and yelling like you would expect of One Direction.

            But soon playing games were too much for me. I was turning 23 soon, and having corralled with the boys for so long, I needed a break. Harry had gotten a real serious girlfriend, as did Niall and Liam, and even Zayn. And here I was, left with nothing. No one to hold when times would drag me down, no one to kiss, and no one to tell me that everything was right in the world.

            Soon it was just too much, and I had to get a break. The guys still wanted to make albums and run tours and sing, but all I wanted to do was get away from them. I remember the day I decided what I was going to do.

            “Hey, guys, I gotta talk to you!” I did my signature whistle and the boys crowded around on the couch. This couch was one we used for several of our crazy videos, so I knew the guys weren’t expecting my next words. “I’m going on vacation.”
            “Vacation?” Zayn raised an eyebrow. “Quit playin’ around, Louis. You can’t go on vacation. We’ve got a concert next week.”
            Niall nodded along with them all, having the decency not to speak up and make me feel guilty. Well, guiltier than I was already feeling. Harry hung his head strangely; he knew when I was serious and when I was joking. “I can’t handle it anymore. It’s not you guys. It’s more… it’s me.”
            “‘It’s not you, it’s me.’” Harry said. “Now, where have I heard that before?”
            I tried not to laugh at his expression, needing to stay serious before I lost my cool. Well, I guess I couldn’t lose something I never had. “I’m dead serious. I’m just gonna take a few months to chill out. You guys go on without me. I think… I’m gonna go to America. There’s a tiny beach in North Carolina, KureBeach. My Mum’s gonna arrange everything. I’m gonna get a temporary job and rent an apartment, and then maybe we can pick up when I come back.”
            “Well, you really have everything already figured out then, don’t you?” Liam said, this being the first time he’d spoken.

            I hesitated. “Yeah, I guess I do.”

            Now here I sat, soaking up the summer sun on the beach. I had taken the liberty of coming here often, despite living in an apartment a few miles away from the water. Growing tremendously tan, I checked my skin often to make sure it was free of sunburn. As of now, I lay on my towel, not even watching the water, just staring into the sky and hoping that magically, love would find me. That was all I really needed. And I knew I couldn’t find it in England, nor in any place where people would recognize me.