39. Rose (short-ish)

Rose sat in her chair, her feet rested in the seat with her knees to her chest, spinning in circles. She was swallowing huge bites of spicy salsa with pieces of mango mixed in it. It was a pattern she had going pretty good. Her best friend Kyra and friend Jasmine sat on the edge of their chairs. They watched her as she spun, took a huge gulp of salsa and mango, chewed, swallowed and started the pattern again. Their own stomachs turned at the idea and they tried to block out the mixed scents. They had no idea what was wrong with her.

As content as she looked, Rose was furious. She just finished her conversation with her brothers and their Alpha, Ollie, about a common (and annoying) enemy named Ian. She couldn't believe the things the bastard attempted to commit. The mere idea of her family getting wrapped into his plans thoroughly pissed her off. But she was delighted and surprised to hear that Julie was the one to stop everything before they got worse. She always did manage to pull through in the end. But more than that, Rose was furious that her Alpha-beta and mate, Phillip, was late. She desperately wanted to hit the road to meet with Julie.

"Where the fuck is he?" She cursed through a mouthful of sweet mango and spicy salsa, slamming her fist on the arm rest of her chair. Kyra and Jasmine both jumped, surprised at the outburst. They loved their Alpha with all of their hearts but the past few days had them running around in circles with her random moond swings. She was almost unbearable to live with it.

"I'm sure he'll be here soon." Jasmine spoke with the biggest smile she could muster. She couldn't be sure but she had a feeling her Alpha's mood swings were due to after effects of mating season. Phillip had been extra protective of her lately.

"We did just call him, after all." Kyra added, staring at her Alpha in entertainment. She knew that the moment Phillip entered the room, all hell would break loose. In a good way, of course.

"Well he's taking too damn long! Call him again." She demanded and Jasmine was quick to leave the room to do so. Rose looked down at her mix and gasped. "I just realized what would go perfect with this!" Her tone suddenly changed to a happy five year old - cheery and exaggerated.

"What?" Kyra asked skeptically. She wondered if adding another ingredient to the salsa and mago would make it better or just plain disgusting. Just the mere combination of the two and watching her Alpha spin in circles was enough to have her feeling nauseous. She didn't want to think about adding another weird ingredient.

"Turkey!" Kyra laughed, nodding her head. She reached into the mini fridge that Phillip had installed as soon as Rose got these crazy cravings and pulled out some turkey, handing it over to Rose. Rose quickly opened the package like a kid on Christmas Day, pulling pieces of it out, tearing it to shreds and mixing it with the odd combination. She added what seemed like more than enough and then took a big bite. Kyra shivered but Rose just moaned.

"Okay, salsa and mango is good. But add a little turkey and its the best, right?" Kyra asked. Rose nossed, taking another, bigger, bite. Kyra ignored her stomach twisting and turning. Just looking at the combination made her gag. She decided to focus on a different subject. "So Julie's Alpha is her mate?" Rose instantly growled, salsa sauce dripping around her mouth.

"And my brother was stupid enough to tell her." She said, sighing dramatically. "And now I have to play the big sister role, go over there and kick some ass, support Julie and then threaten Draco-what's-his-face again!"

Kyra laughed as Rose attempted to lick off the sauce with her tongue, expressing a funny face. The door to the office opened and Phillip entered with Jasmine following behind him. His dark eyes looked over Kyra laughing and discovered his mate eating an odd mix of things. His nose wrinkled at the smell. He was sure he didn't want to know.

"Phillip!" Rose greeted cheerfully, wiping her face with a napkin and setting her bowl of mystery on the desk. She stood up and ran into his arms. He caught her easily, laughing at her enthusiasm. He felt his mood lighting up just at the mere sight of her.

"Oh! God! What are you eating?!" He asked after kissing her. She laughed, returning to her position and resuming her process of spinning and eating. Kyra stood up, gently setting her hand on her beta's shoulder.

"Salsa, mango and turkey," She explained, giving him a sorry expression. She didn't even want to imagine what it was like kissing someone with that flavor in their mouth. "She's all yours."

Phillip watched as she and Jasmine left, closing the door behind them before facing his mate. Her light brown hair was placed back with a pen, revealing her long and delicate neck. Her skin glowed in the sunlight as he neared her, kissing her neck sweetly. Despite her weird cravings at the moment, he was proud to call his beautiful Alpha his mate. But even when completely lost in her beauty, he noticed the wrinkle that was growing on her forehead.

"What's wrong?" He asked, wrapping his arms around her from behind. She finished her bite of salsa covered mango and looked up at him.

"Ian attacked their packs." Phillip growled, remembering the bastard who attempted to make a move on his mate and his pack.

"I knew I should've killed him." Rose mumbled her agreements and kissed his cheek, setting his skin on fire.

"You'll get to when we leave. First, I want to finish this." She took another bite and moaned her pleasure at the taste. He looked down at her, clearly in awe struck of her enjoyment. She offered him some, smiling up at him with warmth. He immediately declined and left to get the pack ready for their departure.