Chapter Sixteen

"Okay... you're almost done sweetie" I whispered smiling as I finished her butterfly face painting. I'm surprised she stood still for that long to be honest. All the candy she ingested today, I had no choice but to let her run it out. Let's not forget ... it was her birthday.

My baby was four years old. I just don't understand how time flew by like that. Seems like yesterday she was placed in my arms by the doctor. Just seeing a full head of hair and her smile as she slept in my arms.

She wanted a simple party with all of her friends from daycare, dance and me and Harry happily gave it to her. It was pretty typical but, as long as she was happy, so were we. Kids running around screaming, laughing eating and playing while, the parents relax and get a bit of a break.

"Done" I said grabbing the mirror to show her her face. Her mouth dropped then she smiled seeing the purple and pink butterfly.

"I love it mommy, thank you" she squealed excited and I laughed nodding. "No problem baby, go show daddy" I giggled and she didn't hesitate to run towards him as I cleaned up. After about ten faces, I was finally done painting faces.

Now off to start cleaning up, make sure everything was coming out and everything was running smoothly.

I went to every table cleaning up to trash then started refilling the snacks and refreshments. "This turned out great" Eve said behind me smiling. I agreed smiling as I put more juices in the cooler.

Since that day she apologized, we have been great. It's not that I expected it to be bad but, I just didn't expect it to be this good. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have been able to get this together. She did most of the cooking while I did more of the decorations and got Gabby together.

I was so thankful for her help, I don't think she understood the relief she and Harry gave me. Harry helped set up a bit also but him buying almost everything for the party was enough.

"It did thanks to you and Harry, thank you again for all this food. Empandas, ziti, chicken, the fruit salad, everything. I was going for just hot dogs, hamburgers and probably chicken" I smiled making her laugh saying her head.

"No problem mi hija" she smiled helping put out some chips as she looked around watching the kids play. Her face expression changed a bit before she looked back over to me as if she had something to say but, didn't know how to say it.

"So, that's Amber huh?" she asked jerking her head in the direction of Harry. I looked over to see Amber talking to him with Gabby in his hands. Amber was passing her a present smiling at her as I looked back over to Eve nodding.

Happy to see they were doing okay.

"Yeah, she's really nice-" "I don't like her" she simply said shrugging watching me as I stood there stumbling over my words. Why the hell not? Amber was great, why wouldn't you like her? She was the perfect girl: Beautiful, sweet, smart, the typical girl next door.

"You don't seem to like anyone at first" I joked making her laugh agreeing surprisingly. "True, but I really don't like her" "Your son does though. At least get to know her" I suggested smiling as she looked at them again with her hands on her lower back. She shook her head not even listening to me.

She looked over at me with a serious face "Nope, she's not going to last anyway. Just enough for him to realize you're the one... again" And with that, she smirked walking away quickly leaving me there watching her loose dark brown curls swaying side to side.

I sighed rolling my eyes looking back over at them now talking alone. I really don't know where she got that idea of us being together but, it wasn't going to happen. Our time together was long gone and she needed to accept that.