Chapter 10

Kasey stepped inside the cafe, looking around for someone in particular. She wasn't entirely sure where Kaitlyn planned to meet- just that she was there.

"Kasey, over here," Kaitlyn called, waving Kasey over. Kasey hurried over to the table and slid into the seat across from Kaitlyn.

"Thank you so much for meeting with me," Kasey said gratefully. "I hadn't realized how close November was, and I figured we should start planning invitations now."

"Of course, it's no big deal. I just need a few ideas from you, as to what you want your invitations to look like. The rest, I can do and then send them to you to approve."

The waitress came over and took their orders- Kasey chose lemonade, and Kaitlyn had iced tea. 

When the waitress had gone, Kaitlyn pulled out her phone. "So, I just have some information I need from you before I start asking about what the invitations look like. I need the date of your wedding, where, when, and what you want the names to be."

"We chose November 27, at 3:00," Kasey said. "Jace just talked to the organizers yesterday... and we're having it in Trinity Church."

Kaitlyn couldn't contain her squeal. "That's so beautiful," she exclaimed. "You two are so adorable. And it's Hamilton themed, which makes it even better."

"I know, that's why I picked it. Jace didn't really care, he just wanted it to look nice, and Trinity Church is beautiful."

"Great," Kaitlyn said, while typing the information into her phone. "Now, do you want your full names, your parent's names... either way is fine."

"Just our names. Any way you feel works best."

"Alright. I think that's everything. November 27, 3:00, at Trinity Church. And your names are Kasey Elizabeth Winslow and Jace Christopher Reynolds."

"That's correct."

"Is there a reception afterward?"

"Yes, we're just not sure where. We can tell them there, though," Kasey said.

"Alright, great. Now what colors? Darker, lighter, neutral?"

"Well, our wedding colors are dark blue and pastel green. And darker colors I think is what Jace and I talked about," Kasey said. "We're not super picky. If you just show us a few options we can tweak them as needed."

"Awesome. I think I'm set here. Is there anything I missed, anything you specifically want?"

"More simplistic designs, I think. Not too fancy or flashy," Kasey told Kaitlyn.

"Got it. I'll send you a few tonight or tomorrow. They don't take me that long."

"Thank you so much, Kaitlyn. Is there an amount you were thinking of for the invitation designs?"

Kaitlyn shook her head vigorously. "Absolutely not. You and Jace are some of my closest friends. I'd be crazy if I charged you. I'm doing this because I want to."

Kasey gave Kaitlyn a hug. "Thank you so much."

"No problem. Anything for the two of you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though Jace loved Kasey dearly, there were some things that he didn't tell her. Not because he didn't trust her, or didn't care about her. He just didn't want her to worry any more than she already did. 

Jace's situation in Spongebob hadn't exactly been fun and games for some of the time. Although he put on a brave face for the fans, and even for Kasey, there were things that not many people knew.

Spongebob had cheated in the Tony nominations and deleted the Frozen cast from the eligibility listings. That was the truth- and Jace had been the one who told the Tony officials about the fact. 

As a result, most of the main cast members, and even some of the ensemble members, hated Jace. They were furious, and let him know it at every turn. 

Each day became more of a struggle. Jace didn't love his job anymore. He did it for Kasey, mainly. 

If she knew, she would worry. She would try and do something about that, but being known as a snitch was not what Jace wanted to be. 

So, he kept on, even when his fellow cast members, mainly the leads, ignored him, or made fun of him. Either way, Spongebob was a far cry from Jace's fairytale experience with his Tangled cast members. It was completely the opposite. 

After one particularly bad night, Jace didn't go home after the show. His cast members had been awful tonight. Their words rang in his head:

You're a twisted man, Jace Reynolds.

You're a snitch.

You can't do anything right.

You don't deserve Kasey Winslow. 

In terms of acting, you're at the very bottom of my list. You're the weakest link.

He texted Kasey that they were having a late-night dinner trip with the cast. Instead, he walked a few blocks down, to 44th street, and sat down on an outcropping in one of the buildings.

He watched fans stream out of the Lunt-Fontanne, gushing about Frozen's performance. He saw Kasey emerge, blissfully unaware, from the stage door. He watched little girls give her hugs through the barrier, and watched her interact with the parents.

They were right. He'd done nothing to deserve Kasey. 

"Are you alright?" 

Jace blinked at the figure who had seemingly materialized in front of him, trying hard to focus.

"W-what?"

The figure sat down next to him, watching him concernedly. "Are you alright? You're crying."

And indeed he was, he realized with a start. 

"I'm fine," he said.

"No, you're not."

Jace wiped the dampness from his eyes and was finally able to take in the person sitting next to him. 

Christy Altomare.

"You wouldn't understand," he told her, staring back across the street. "No one would."

"You can talk to Kasey about whatever it is. She's your fiancee," Christy said softly.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I just can't, alright? You don't have to try and fix this. I can't tell her because... I don't want her to know. She can't, she'd... she'd worry," Jace rubbed his face with his hands. "This is supposed to be the happiest time of our lives, and here I am."

"All the more reason for you to talk to her."

"She's gone through enough already without me unloading all of my problems onto her shoulders."

Christy frowned, tilting her head to the side. "Well, even if you can't tell her... maybe just, don't shut her out."

Jace stood up. "I have to go."

"Wait!" Christy's voice halted Jace mid-step. "Please, I don't know what's going on in your life, but don't do something that you can't fix later. Don't do something stupid."

"Yeah, whatever," Jace said bitterly, turning away, leaving a puzzled Christy Altomare standing on the street behind him.