Chapter 8

After months of performing, stressing, and celebrating with the Frozen cast, Kasey's time in Frozen was up. It was finally her last show. She couldn't decide if she was thrilled or sad that their performances together were coming to an end- so she eventually settled on calling the day 'bittersweet'.

And it was indeed bittersweet. Knowing that she'd already landed her spot as Laura's replacement in DEH was reassuring, and she was ready for a change. Being Anna was exhausting- Frozen was a physically draining show, just like Hamilton. 

But parting from her cast members would prove extremely difficult, especially from the ensemble girls and the four young ones- Maura, Rebecca, Lily, and Emma. 

Jess and Kasey both arrived at the theatre early to have some final celebrations before their last show started, including a final livestream with the young Elsas and Annas.

"Hey guys, this is Jess and Kasey, live from the Lunt-Fontanne for the final time. We just wanted to do a quick livestream with all of you guys before we part ways," Jess said, waving to the camera. "It's been such a blast performing alongside these girls."

Three of the girls beamed, but Emma was noticeably upset. Kasey pulled the girl so that she could sit on Kasey's lap.

"We just wanted to let you guys know that we won't be stagedooring tonight. This night, while it means a lot to you as fans, also means a lot to our cast and crew. This is for them, and we want to spend time with them. That doesn't mean we won't sign things if you send them to us."

"And lastly, we'll be announcing our new projects soon. Our journey together isn't quite over," Kasey continued. "Stay tuned for those."

Jess and Kasey exchanged glances. "Now, we're going to give our little Elsas and Annas a few gifts before we leave."

Maura and Rebecca looked shocked, but Lily and Emma brightened a little bit. "Because we love all four of you, we've gotten you snowflake necklaces, with blue and pink gems. We have matching ones. We'll wear them lots, and think of each other every time we wear them, alright?" Kasey told the girls, as Jess handed each of them a pink wrapped box.

Emma threw her arms around Kasey's neck and hugged tightly. "Don't leave us."

"I don't want to, but it's time for new cast members. And you love Madelyn and Elizabeth already. They'll be fantastic."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The show passed by in a blur. 

Despite all the subtle tributes the ensemble was giving Kasey and Jess during the show, Kasey managed not to cry until the bows music began to play. She was standing in the wings, waiting for the cast to finish their usual bows.

The orchestra's reprises of the music in the show were always stunning, but today, they switched to an arrangement that Kasey and Jess had never heard before. It was a mixture of 'For the First Time in Forever', 'Let it Go', and 'An Act of True Love'. Simply put, it was gorgeous.

The stage manager waved them on, and Kasey and Jess stepped up to the edge of the stage to take their usual together as the applause rang out through the theatre.

Kasey squeezed Jess's hand as they bowed. The fact that it was almost over was a strange thought, now. She'd been in Frozen for so long that it was hard to imagine life without the cast and crew in it every day. 

The rest of the cast joined them, as the music continued. On Kasey's right was Jess, and on her left was Sebastian, who squeezed Kasey's hand tightly as Jess and Kasey led the group bow.

They acknowledged both the tech and the pit, and then the cast stepped back again, leaving Jess and Kasey alone at the front of the stage.

Kasey waved Jess forward to take her own solo bow, and then it was her turn. It felt like she'd just been in the same position, but on opening night. And yet, now she was taking her last bow in a role she'd originated. It was an amazing feeling.

Then, the two joined hands and bowed one more time, as the music swelled and pink and blue confetti rained down on the stage. 

It seemed like forever, and yet no time at all, before the curtain closed and the exit music started to play. 

Kasey couldn't believe it- her run was over. It was strange, she thought. She felt empty, now, knowing that her time as Anna was over, but it was also exciting. The future suddenly seemed so much more bright now.