Chapter 5

July came. The date of Kasey's last show seemed to loom closer and closer- but instead of feeling sad about it, Kasey was actually looking forward to a fresh start. A new show, something different, to stretch herself. 

As much as she loved Frozen, it was time for a change. Something new to do. She just didn't know what, yet.

She got a little more ideas about what she wanted to do when she encountered Laura Dreyfuss in her favorite cafe.

"Kasey Winslow!" Laura exclaimed. "Long time no see. I've missed talking to you!"

"I've missed you too, Laura," Kasey laughed. "What's up with you? Any exciting plans for vacation or anything?"

"Yeah, some plans to visit Canada and visit all the sites up there," Laura said. "I'm really looking forward to it, it should be relaxing, and not to hot, either."

"Sounds like fun," Kasey said appreciatively. 

"It should be! Speaking of future plans, the DEH managers have been wanting me to give you a heads up. They want to talk to you about some future projects, maybe an audition," Laura told Kasey, after she'd placed her order. 

"For a new show, you mean?"

"No, for Dear Evan Hansen," Laura corrected. "I'm leaving, around November, ish, and they want to see if you'd be a good fit for Zoe. Only if you wanted to, though. I know it's a tough subject, and you've been through a lot. They've just heard a lot about your singing style and they want to just test the waters."

Kasey paused for a minute, mulling over the possibilities. "You can tell them... I'm not saying no, necessarily. I just need to consider all of my options. I'll be auditioning for some more shows once I leave Frozen, and I have to think about where I want to take my career, you know? And I don't know if I want to be that emotional of a show for that long."

"I completely understand. Take your time, you have plenty. I'm not leaving next month, or anything. Just wanted to let you know that they're considering you. But only if you want it," Laura said instantly. "Well, I actually have to get going. I wish we could stick around and chat, but you know all about rehearsal schedules."

"Of course," Kasey laughed. "Have a good time, Laura."

"You too! Good luck on your last shows, if I don't see you before you leave."

"Thanks," Kasey replied, as Laura slung her bag on her shoulder and, waving, walked out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jace picked Kasey up after both of their shows.

"What would you think about me performing in Dear Evan Hansen?" Kasey asked him, as they walked down the street. It was surprisingly cool outside, for the first week of July. It was more in line with Kasey's preferred temperature than Jace's, who loved summer and ninety degree heat. She gravitated toward seventy degrees instead.

Jace raised his eyebrows, frowning a little. "Where is this coming from?"

"The producers and casting agents of Dear Evan Hansen emailed me today, after Laura Dreyfuss said they were considering me for her Zoe replacement," Kasey explained. "She said they wanted to give me an audition."

"Is that what you want to do?"

Kasey was silent for a few seconds. Jace glanced over at her.

"I've thought about it ever since I saw Laura today," she admitted finally. "I think I need to do it."

"Need to, or want to?"

Kasey paused. "A little of both. The topics are so, so important to me especially. I've always admired the show and what is does to bring awareness. I feel like it's meant for me to do. Everything has lined up so perfectly. This could be the only chance I get to be in DEH."

"It seems like it means a lot to you," Jace said. "I think you should do it, if you care about it so much."

"Do you?"

"I do, honestly. You are so aware of mental health. This could be your chance to shed a greater light on it," Jace affirmed. "It seems like a great idea. But only do it because you want to, not because they're asking, and not because of what I say. It needs to be your choice, ultimately."

Kasey was silent as they stepped into their apartment building. "I think I'm going to do it," she decided.