Chapter 33

Lin's ears were filled with the faint sounds of what sounded like some kind of Broadway cast album pumping through the loudspeakers and the jumbled murmurings of the audience as he pushed open the doors of the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre.

"General public?" the ticket attendant asked, barely even sparing Lin, Vanessa, and Alaina a second look. 

Lin flashed his note in response.

"My apologies. You'll be in Box Four. It's on the left-hand side, second floor," the attendant said quickly. He handed Lin a program.

As the three of them  wove their way through the crowds and to the more deserted stairwell on house left, Lin glanced at the thick paper in his hand.

Celebration of Life: December 18, 2018

Jace Christopher Reynolds

February 4, 1989 - November 27, 2018

He eventually made his way to box four and pushed the door open, unsure of who he'd find inside.

"Lin," Renee said, standing up. "And Vanessa and Alaina. It's nice to see you."

"Renee. It's... we haven't seen each other in a while. You look good," Lin told her, giving his friend a loose hug before pulling away.

"You too. I just wish that this wasn't in these circumstances."

Lin looked out at the huge theatre, which was filled to the brim with Jace's fans, friends, and family. "I do, too. This isn't an event I ever planned on having to attend."

Renee gave a sad smile.

"How's Kasey holding up?" Lin asked, sitting down next to Renee.

"I haven't talked to her much... I had dinner with her a couple weeks ago. Carleigh says she's getting through it. The funeral's kept her occupied."

"This seems... like a lot. The audience especially."

Renee nodded. "That's what I thought, too. I think it's what his mother wanted, and Kasey just went along with it."

"Who else is going to be up here?"

"Some of the Hamilton ensemble, and I think a few Tangled members, too."

Lin swallowed and nodded. He took a second look at the program in his hand. The paper was simple, in black-and-white. Alaina peered over his shoulder. 

Prelude - Spongebob orchestra

Introduction - Moira Reynolds, mother

Musical Selection - "I See the Light" - Araella Marquis, co-star

Reflection - Jordan Reynolds, brother

Musical Selection - "Tomorrow Is" - Jessica Clarke, co-star

Reflection - Christy Altomare, friend

Musical selections from "Tangled" - Tangled company

Reading - Andrew Reynolds, father