Chapter 4

A few days later, Kasey and Jess decided to an Instagram live together announcing their departure from the show. 

"Hey guys, it's Jess and Kasey from Frozen. You all probably know us, maybe not. We play Anna and Elsa. We're going to be answering a few of your questions today!" Jess said into the camera. 

"That's right, send us whatever questions you have about the show, backstage, pre-show rituals, anything. This is your time to learn what you want from us," Kasey added. 

"Here's one. 'hamfans' asks when the wedding is," Jess read. She immediately looked at Kasey with a grin on her face. "When is the wedding, anyway?"

"Jace and I haven't decided on a date... but we have decided on our wedding party, for the most part. I figured that I would ask you to be one of my bridesmaids. You were a choice that both Jace and I wanted," Kasey replied.

Jess's eyes widened. "Wow, I didn't expect that. But thank you, and of course. We're sisters!"

Kasey laughed. "What are some other questions... they want to know some funny onstage bloopers and mishaps."

"You got hit in the eye!" Jess exclaimed. "That was interesting. I felt so bad watching it happen, too. Props to you for pulling through that. It looked like it hurt."

"It did, but it's a fun story now."

"elsanna wants to our favorite colors."

"Mine is light green and blue," Kasey said. "What's yours?"

"I'm a fan of yellow. It's such a happy color," Jess explained. 

Kasey and Jess kept skimming, answering a few more questions before they reached one that would lead into their announcement.

"What are our future plans?" Jess asked, turning to Kasey. They exchanged glances.

"Well, here's why we're on this livestream. Contracts are about to expire... and Jess and I will be leaving on August 10, together. That evening show will be our last," Kasey said. "I know some of you may be upset, but we've been with this show for a while. It's time for some new creative journeys."

"For me, I'm planning on traveling around for a while, maybe visiting the West End, seeing what's over there," Jess continued. "I'm really excited to keep working on my career, and where this journey takes me. I really hope you all stick around for the ride. You guys are so important to me."

"And I have a few auditions coming up, for different plays and musicals. I'm also really excited about where my path is leading, too. Of course, I'm getting married soon, so I'm planning for that, too."

"And don't worry, our roles will be in good hands. Auditions are beginning to take place and the people here are extremely talented. You'll be very happy with whoever gets the role," Jess added. "Thank you so much for your support."

Kasey nodded in agreement. "Yeah, we definitely couldn't have made it to Broadway without all of you. We really do have to get ready for our show now, but we look forward to our last weeks of shows with you guys before we part ways. Stick around for more shenanigans!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Kasey arrived home, Jace was not happy. She could tell by the way he slammed his bag around when he stepped in the door, getting home just after Kasey.

Jace, while he didn't usually publicize his struggles with depression, was still obviously grappling with it. Kasey never judged him for it- she'd had her own share of mental health problems following the deaths of her close family members. If anything, it made her appreciate him more, knowing what he was going through.

But sometimes, it was a little scary. Jace could get broody and aggressive when things happen that undermined his confidence.

When that happened, Kasey tried her best to cheer him up. She stayed out of his way, but made sure that he knew she supported him. She would make him coffee and listen to whatever he needed to talk through.

"What's wrong?" she asked, after a few minutes of his stony silence.

"Just... jerks at work," Jace grumbled. "Some of the cast members are gossiping. They think I'm not competent, or something."

"That's ridiculous," Kasey said instantly. "They shouldn't think that way. You've earned your spot just as much as they have."

"And yet, they seem to think I'm not pulling my weight," Jace said, running a hand through his hair. "I've worked so hard on this show, and I get nothing. They don't appreciate anything I do. Everything I do is wrong to them. They talk about me behind my back when they think I'm not listening."

"I'm sure they don't all think that," Kasey protested.

"Am I, though? Am I really pulling my weight in the show? Maybe they think I've abandoned them, because I spend so much time with you. I think they do. They don't like it when I take off from the show," Jace fretted. 

Kasey set down her tea and put a hand on Jace's knee. "You can't let what other people think drive what you do. And it's not like they don't take off from the show, either. I've seen some of their Instagram stories. You've taken less vacation than some of the others."

"I know, but it's always me who gets all the crap for it!" Jace exclaimed. "I don't understand why I have to be the one working all the time, doing all the press, and being a perfect actor. They don't perform well all the time! And yet, I'm the one who gets called out in rehearsals."

"Maybe they're just insecure."

"But what if I'm really the bad one? What if I just think they're making fun of me because I know deep down that I'm an awful actor?" Jace demanded. "I am the weakest link, Kasey. I don't know why I ever thought I wasn't."

"You are not the weakest link. Don't let them gossip about you, don't let them bring you down for something that you aren't even doing. They just have to deal with your choices, because they have no right to criticize someone else if they're not doing what they're supposed to."

"But there's a reason why they're talking about me behind my back, Kasey. They wouldn't do it just because they're bored."

"Ignore them. You can't live your life trying to life up to someone else's standards. If you're proud of what you're doing, they can't say that you're slacking," Kasey said emphatically. "I can talk to them."

"No," Jace said immediately. "I'm not going to be that guy who needs his fiancee to defend him all the time."

"Alright," Kasey agreed. "But if the childish gossip doesn't stop, you need to tell me. It's unprofessional. It's not up to them, anyway, it's up to the managers. And I don't think they plan on firing you any time soon."