Chapter 9

For the first couple days after Kasey left Frozen, life felt surreal. It was odd not having to go to the theatre every day and perform. She found herself missing her friends, especially Sebastian, Jess, and the four younger girls. 

Jace wasn't home, either, since he was still performing in Spongebob every night. So, Kasey spent her time studying her script and score for DEH, practicing, and on Netflix, catching up with the shows she'd missed.

As much as she loved vacation, she also hated the emptiness. The apartment was empty, and without Emma, Lily, Maura, and Rebecca, her life was strangely quiet, too. The four girls had filled her life with such happiness.

At least she got to hang out with Alaina more. The girl had grown up a lot since Kasey had last spent time with her in person. They Snapchatted all the time, and texted, too, but with Alaina in school and Kasey in shows, they'd had a hard time lining up their schedules.

She always enjoyed talking to Alaina, though. Very few of Kasey's friends had British accents, so it was nice to be reminded of her own accent when she was with Alaina. It made her feel more connected to where she'd been born. 

"Remind me again why you think I'm going to improve from last time?" Kasey asked as she and Alaina walked down the street.

"You weren't that bad," Alaina said graciously. "Art isn't for everyone. You're better than Lin and Vanessa."

Kasey laughed. "Well, I guess Lin can't be great at everything."

She held open the door of the art studio for Alaina. They sat at their usual spot near the window. Alaina selected a medium-sized canvas, and Kasey picked a smaller one.

"What are you going to paint today?" Kasey asked Alaina as they stood at the rack of acrylic paints and brushes.

"I was thinking London, but in white, blue, and red," Alaina said thoughtfully. "I brought a reference picture in case I need some help."

"That sounds like it'll look cool," Kasey told her appreciatively. 

"What are you painting?" Alaina asked. 

"I'm going to paint... a flower."

"You're good at those," Alaina said, nodding. "I approve."

"I'm glad," Kasey laughed.

As they painted, Alaina updated Kasey on life with Lin and Vanessa. She seemed to enjoy it, Kasey thought, and Lin and Vanessa didn't seem to show any signs that they were going to give Alaina up any time soon. That was good. Kasey knew what it was like to bounced from foster home to foster home, and it wasn't fun. Alaina needed that kind of stability in her life.

"So, how's school? You're a freshman now, right?"

"Yeah, I'm a freshman. Our school is doing Cinderella this year for the musical. I'm not sure if I want to audition," Alaina said thoughtfully. "It seems really scary, but..."

"If you aren't auditioning because you're afraid, then I think you should do it. Auditions are tough, I know, but sometimes you've just gotta put yourself out there and see what happens. I was afraid when I auditioned for my first musical, but I ended up getting in and having a lot of fun," Kasey said. 

"Do you think people will make fun of me, because I'm... not an American?" Alaina asked timidly.

Kasey set down her brush. "Alaina, if someone makes fun of you because you're British, that's not right. They should never, ever do that. But if they are, it's probably because they're insecure. Do you remember Megan?"

"Megan Anderson? I mean, I talked to her once, when you introduced us."

"We used to be bitter rivals, in Julliard, and even in Hamilton. She made fun of me all the time because I was British. But we talked about it once, and it turns out, she was just doing it because she hasn't had the best experiences in musical theatre, either," Kasey said. "Sometimes, the best way to get rid of the bullies is to find common ground."

"Do you wish everything was different?" Alaina mused, while swirling blue onto her canvas. 

Kasey frowned, pausing mid-brushstroke. "With Megan?"

"With everything."

Alaina turned, eyes fixed on Kasey.

"No, I don't," Kasey said finally. "When I was your age, absolutely. I was bitter because Devon and mum and dad died. I wanted them to come back. When I went to college, and finally got some space from the accident, I realized how much it changed my life. Even though it was awful and horrible... I've done so much for them, if that makes sense. I would be a completely different person if I had grown up with them. Maybe I'd still have gone into theatre, but I doubt I would have transferred to Julliard."

"And you wouldn't have met me."

"That's right," Kasey said, smiling a little. "I wouldn't have been able to have you as a little sister."

"I guess you're pretty cool," Alaina answered teasingly.

"You guess?" Kasey raised an eyebrow, poking Alaina in the side.

"No, no, you are cool!" Alaina giggled.

"Good," Kasey said. "Speaking of, I was wondering... for my wedding, Jace and I were wondering if you wanted to be flower girl. November 27."

Alaina blinked. "Me?"

"Yeah, you. You're my partner in crime. I wouldn't have anyone else," Kasey told her instantly. "If you want to, but I would be so honored if you would."

"Well... I guess I'll be your flower girl," Alaina replied, with a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Oh, shut up," Kasey laughed.