XVII. it's not a date

Chapter 17

I let my eyes scan the whole field as I held the purple parasol closely and delicately for I am afraid I'll somehow destroy this expensive-looking parasol.

It was Judy who let me borrow her purple parasol. As soon as she ascertained that Augustus and I are going to watch this so-called-soccer game, she insisted on prepping me up.

Nevertheless, she instantly hands me the rose gold gown without any hesitation. Heck, I bet it's the only gown that is not in the color yellow in her closet. Not too fancy but still beautiful, if you ask me. It has a matching rose gold hat and a purple parasol.

Judy, on the other hand, kept giving me funny looks as she brushed my dark hair.

"You're beginning to creep me out, Judy," I exclaimed as I looked at her in the mirror. Still, I enjoy the feeling of the brush running through my hair.

"Oh, nothing, my dear. I'm just happy you're going on a date although I would've preferred if you're actually going with Raymond," Judy answered as she stopped brushing my hair for a moment.

For some reason, my cheeks turned red. "First off, Judy, Augustus and I are not going on a date. Second, I just don't fancy Raymond, okay?"

God knows how much I want to confess that Raymond is a good catch if you're only into looks and money. But if you're one of those women who strongly believe attitude is a must then you came to the wrong person, darling.

"Oh, come on, Clementine. Who are you kidding here? Why in the heavens would he invite you to watch some silly yet expensive soccer game if he doesn't fancy you? It's a date, Clementine, a date," Judy insisted, continuing in brushing my hair. A bit harder this time, I have to say.

"Look, I agreed to go with Augustus because he's my employer which means I have to do whatever he wants. So, like I said, this is not a date, only a job. Heck, I would've looked like some sort of his chaperone later, I bet," I uttered as I let out a soft sigh.

"Well, if that'll make you happy then fine, we'll go with your story. But let me ask you this, Clementine. If you truly believe this is not a date then why are you now preparing as if today's your wedding day?" Judy blurted out as she wiggled her brows.

And with that, my cheeks turned red. I bit my lips and hoped he would not notice my crimson cheeks, for I don't want to lose this argument. Blushing means Judy just won. Everybody knows that.

"Madame, do you want to proceed to the honeymoon based on how hard you're blushing?" Judy mocked as she wiggled her brows at me again.

I just remained quiet after that, still hiding my blush as I wish Judy will finish whatever she's doing to my dark hair. Let's hope she will not transform it into a bird's nest but judging from Judy's beautiful hairstyles, I am certainly sure she got the style.

As soon as Judy is done prepping me. She stared at me, smiling broadly and said, "If ever I'm going to have a daughter, I want her to look like you,"

That made me look at her and asked, "Don't tell me you're pregnant," with that, Judy just let out a laugh and said, "My goodness, of course not,"

Judy continued staring at me and uttered the words that made me look at her in confusion. "My cousin Leo would've gone wild as soon as he saw how beautiful you look,"

Everything became worse when Judy snatched my hand then led me to the living room where Augustus can be found walking like a fool, wearing a black suit. He kept brushing his blond hair out of frustration, I guess.

My eyes almost began to ache as I eyed him walk around the living room, his hands inside his pockets.

It was Judy who decided to give an indication of our presence. She cleared her throat. Very unlady-like, if you'll ask Miss Dolores or Martha.