Part 20; you look like you've seen a ghost

"Molly? What's wrong, you look like you've seen a ghost!" my mum called, swinging the door open which caused me to almost faint.

Standing on the doorstep, I had been staring over at Molly and Harry trying my best to read their lips in the hope of understanding what they were talking/arguing about; my mum must've seen me hovering out here alone and wondered what on Earth was going on.

"Oh, I'm fine..." I muttered, my lips barely moving as I spoke. The chilly wind caused the trees to rustle quietly as they lined Harry's side of the street. Even though I was now speaking to my mum, I didn't take my attention away from the pair across the street.

I watched as Harry seemingly slammed the door, leaving Kate stood smacking her clenched fists against the wood in an attempt to regain his attention. I knew that he would have been locking the door right about now to avoid her barging in.

My mum stood silently beside me, staring over at Harry's house mirroring the same look that was on my face. Nothing ever happened on our street, and so when some drama did unfold, we all found ourselves watching and getting involved with one another's business.

Kate had now given up on getting back into Harry's house, and was now sliding down the door, curled up in a tight ball. She looked as though she was sobbing into her knees as she brought them up to her chest and placed her chin on them.

For a second I actually felt sorry for her as I watched her cry. The vulnerable side of her had shone through for just a fraction of a second, but that was soon to be hidden again.

Her attention snapped over towards my mum and I, which automatically caused all the wind to escape from my system in a rather loud gasp. I felt as though I had been punched straight in the stomach and could hardly breathe as her eyes bored into me.

"Molly?" my mum asked. She lighly traced her fingers over my arm and attempted to pull me away, but I was having none of it.

"Let go of me," I hissed, turning away from Kate's glare as I started to go back inside. I tripped slightly over my own feet as I tried to get away from Kate's accusing stare.

Leaving my mum on the porch, I headed inside and ran straight up the stairs feeling as though there was someone running after me. My mind was playing tricks on me again as I ran through the landing, flicking on every single light until I reached my bedroom at the end of the hall.

I flounced onto my bed, leaving the door open as I was honestly too afraid to shut it.

After about five minutes I was asleep, but not for long as my mum appeared in the doorway; even though I was in a very deep sleep and was having a vivid dream once again, I sensed her in the doorway but still jumped once I awoke to find her standing there.

Her eyes were searching for something as she eyed up my face. Her features looked puzzled.

"Something's the matter," she said cooly, coming into my room without the permission that she usually required in order to come in here.

I closed my mouth and swallowed, soon realising that my throat was extremely dry.

"There's nothing wrong." I lied.

"Don't spout me that rubbish, Molly. I know there's something wrong, and I know it's something to do with that girl."

I didn't argue, but just simply nodded. I was too exhausted to get into anymore arguments concerning Harry or Kate.

"And whatever it is, I'm going to get to the bottom of it."

My mother's words sounded more like a threat than an actual statement as she placed herself down on the end of my bed. I pulled my legs up and hugged my knees, remembering that I was still fully clothed and probably smelt after wearing this outfit for so long.

The silence was deafening as my mum and I sat staring at the cream coloured walls. It was a long time before either of us spoke again.

"You're frightened of her, aren't you?"

My stomach turned to knots.

I nodded again, not really trusting my voice. I knew I was on the verge of crying, but I didn't want my mum to know how much this whole situation was getting to me, or about how paranoid I was about seeing her everywhere I went. I even hated going up the stairs without the lights on in the fear of seeing her when I reached the top.

My mum shuffled closer until she was about ten centimeters away from me. Without warning, she pulled me into a hug which caused me to topple over so that I was resting my head on her thighs.

The water works started flowing then; I hadn't cried in so long that I'd actually forgotten how theraputic it was to just get everything out of my system. Once I'd finished, my entire face was puffy and the tears had stained my cheeks. My body was shaking slightly, and my cries soon turned to mere sniffles.

I sat up and pulled my right sleeve futher down my arm, using it as a tissue as I wiped my face and dabbed at my eyes. My eyelashes were soaked which meant every time I blinked more water made it's way down my face and dripped onto my mum's leg, adding to the huge puddle that had formed on her jeans.

"We're going to do something about this, okay? Whatever it takes." my mum promised. She took my hand and looked at me with kind eyes, using her thumb to draw circles on my palm.

I nodded and forced back a smile, which physically hurt my face as a result of the puffiness of my cheeks. I couldn't help but splutter a laugh as my mum pointed to the mess I'd made of her trousers- I'd even managed to stain them with mascara.

"Come on, don't get upset."

My mum pulled me into another hug, and I rested my chin on her shoulder.

I knew as long as I had her, Kate couldn't touch me.