Chapter 20

Warning: Smut

Author's POV

Kyungsoo picked at his nails and bit them each individually. His heart was racing quicker than when he ran at top speed, or faster than a speeding car that was coming his way.

His eyes drifted back to the clock. Jongin still hadn't called him and it was past ten 'o' clock at night. Another minute had passed and Jongin still wasn't here. Every second that passed without his phone ringing or the front door opening had Kyungsoo biting on his lower lip in trepidation. Dreadful thoughts filled his mind before he could stop them, and his breathing quickened irregularly. What if something bad had happened? Was Jongin out there somewhere, getting himself wasted on alcohol like he always did when something had gone wrong? Was he hurting a lot, or was he hurting himself? That thought had Kyungsoo squirming uncomfortably as he continued to pace back and forth in the living room.

Just then, the sound of the front door's lock twisting hit Kyungsoo's ears, and he couldn't be happier. "Jongin!" He cried as he ran to the front door and engulfed Jongin in a tight hug. "Why didn't you call me? I was so worried! Thank god you're back!" Kyungsoo pulled away to get a look at Jongin's face, and he frowned. Jongin's hair was messed up, his eyes puffy and red with tears stains on his cheeks. "Jongin?"

Jongin smiled and hugged Kyungsoo back, but Kyungsoo pulled away to take a glance at Jongin's appearance again.

"What happened?" Jongin bit his lower lip, which was chapped and had teeth marks in them from the countless times Jongin bit into them that night. "Jongin, what happened at the dinner? Did they have you go down on your knees and ask her to date you again?" Jongin shook his head and looked at his shoes. "Then what?" Then Kyungsoo spotted how Jongin was still standing at the door with his shoes on. "Actually, take off your shoes and let's go sit down on the couch and talk."

Kyungsoo dragged Jongin to the couch and sat him down, having him tell Kyungsoo the story from beginning to the end. "T-They fucking planned t-to hold a w-wedding for me and S-Soo Jung without me knowing." Jongin's voice quivered as he spoke, but he was doing a good job at holding his tears in while he told Kyungsoo the story. "Even if I h-hadn't apologized to her tonight, they s-still would've m-made me m-marry her. I h-hate that woman. I d-don't love her, but apparently that d-doesn't matter. As long as she's useful for the company, then my happiness m-means nothing."

"Jongin..." Kyungsoo trailed off because he really didn't know what to say. Tears pricked his eyes, but he refused to let them out before Jongin did. This hurt Kyungsoo, it really did, but Jongin was in more pain than him, and he wasn't going to cry out like this when Jongin was strong enough to hold his tears in for this long.

Kyungsoo opted for giving Jongin a comforting kiss on his lips. His heart shattered into another million pieces when he caught a glimpse of the tears that Jongin refused to let loose from his eyes when Kyungsoo pulled back from the kiss.

"Jongin, let's go sleep, okay?" Kyungsoo murmured. "You need some rest. Let's go cuddle together. I'll shower you in my kisses and spoil you like a child to make you happy." Jongin laughed at that, but his laugh was faint and his smile seemed strained, and Kyungsoo felt a pang of pain in his heart again. Jongin looked so fragile and weak, like a few days ago when Jongin kept the dinner a secret from him. At that time, Jongin looked like a wreck, and Kyungsoo didn't want to see him that way again.

He took Jongin's hand in his and gently pulled him to his feet, leading him to their shared bedroom to tuck Jongin in.

~~~

Kyungsoo jolted awake when he heard a crash. No tanned arms were wrapped around him, no bare chest was pressed against his back and giving him warmth. The space Jongin slept in was cold and empty, the mattress sunk in. Kyungsoo shifted around to get a good look at the digital clock on the nightstand, but later regretted it when the brightness of the numbers on the screen blinded him temporarily. He blinked a few times before the numbers came into view; it was two in the morning. Maybe Jongin had gone to use the bathroom, but then what was that crash noise he had heard?