XII. please stop staring...

Start from the beginning

"A-about your father, I mean, Mr. Bennett, when is he coming again?" I asked, hoping not to sound so desperate.

"Oh, I think he'll be coming home within this week," Augustus answered, there's a hint of excitement and nervousness in his voice.

Don't tell me he misses his father but at the same, he doesn't want to see him because Douglas Bennett is a man with iron fists.

"Hmmm, what's his job again?" I asked, hoping that the answer I'll get will somehow lead me in unraveling why I need to kill him.

Perhaps Mr. Douglas Bennett is a known mafia boss or whatsoever and that's why I need to cut his throat.

"You mean, you don't know Father's  occupation? All this time, I thought all the staff in the Bennet household knew our family's business," Augustus exclaimed, looking at me weirdly as if i'm joking.

He then stopped walking which made me mimic him as well. So do Leo, I noticed. Not that I'm paying attention to him. Ugh.

"I just happened to be forgetful sometimes," I replied as I let out a forced chuckle.

"And wait, your family's business is not something you know, illegal, right?" I asked, wishing he would not get offended.

As soon as I said that, Augustus' eyes immediately widened as I heard a cough behind me. Absolutely sure it's from the awkward soldier who just saw me in my undergarments.

"Of course not, Ms. Wright. Why in God's name would that even cross your mind? My family's business is book manufacturing. We publish novels or whatever you want to call it," Augustus answered as he shook off whatever was in his delicately-made white tuxedo.

Oh, so, nothing illegal, huh but wait, are you telling me Bennett's business has something to do with books? That the guy I'm supposed to kill is a bibliophile?

Also, this only means they get to meet famous authors. Not just famous but legendary...

Numerous Victorian authors kept popping out in my head now.

"How I wish you could read so that I'll show you all the books we got back home, not that I fancy reading." Augustus added that made my eyes widened.

Wait, what? Did he just say he wishes I could read?

Excuse me?! I find that really insulting. What made him think I am illiterate? But then again, I remember that I belong to a poor family here in this era. That I am just a plain housemaid with no knowledge on how to read and write.

I just kept my head low.

"Besides, the books we have back home are nothing special although Leo finds them really fascinating. He's the only one who reads them," Augustus said, shrugging as he turned to look at his friend for a second.

Leo just playfully wiggled his brow but said nothing.

That's it. As soon as we head home, I am gonna find this library. I just can't wait to read books. I want to experience touching 1st edition novels written by Jane Austen, Charles Dickens or any Victorian authors.

Also, I just realized that unlike Leo, Augustus is definitely not a man who fancies the idea of books. Is he more on sports or whatever thing Victorian men are gushing about nowadays?

"If you ask me, I'll rather practice my archery and shooting skills than read a boring book. Not that I need to since I really am good at it," confirmed, this man truly is conceited.

"Speaking of archery and shooting,do you want to learn how to, Miss Wright? C'mon, a dashing one-shot archer like me will be the one to teach you," Augustus asked, grinning.