Chapter 39: Forebaggage

Start from the beginning

"Wait, there are actually spirits in the tree?" asked Joneas. "I wonder why my magic wasn't able to detect them."

"We all have our off-days," said Brandon.

"Are you a magic user?" asked Joneas.

"I dabbled in it. Fifteen-hundred years ago."

They continued to talk for a bit, bonding over things that they would not have expected from each other. As they continued to talk, the group moved toward the blue tree.

"The tree is known as The Forgotten Promise. The details of why are lost to time," explained Halberd.

"They are not, just ask the tree," said Crock. "Tell 'em Crock sent ya. They'll show up in a flash!"

"Does the old man always do this?" asked Joneas.

"Know everything? Pretty much," said Cameron. "It's a little odd. We're all taking his tales with a grain of salt, but every time Crock is right, it becomes less shocking."

They reached the tree, and James walked up to it. He politely asked if he could know about the universe's most powerful sorcerer, and why Martin was so obsessed with them. At first, nothing happened. After a moment had passed, however, the tree began to light up with a bright blue energy.

The energy that lit up the tree extended out to the entire island and caused a glow that was almost blinding. Two lines started to draw themselves on the ground, starting from the tree and shooting out towards unknown destinations. Following the lines along their trajectories, it became apparent that one was headed towards Orange's corpse, and the other towards the Royal Crypt, where Wilvus the First rested.

Upon reaching their intended targets, the lines faded and the corpses began to glow with a bright blue light. The spectres of these long-dead individuals rose above the corpses, and came to life. Orange was particularly surprised.

"It would appear I have been summoned."

With that being said, both he and Wilvus instinctively knew to find The Forgotten Promise. They flew off to the Rebel Base, where they knew they would find it. In the mean time, the crew of the Detective Pirates began to wonder what exactly they had done when they asked the tree to reveal its secrets. Even with the inexplicable harsh wind and blinding light, James did not doubt his decision to trust Crock's judgment.

After a few minutes, the spirits arrived.

"Hello there, I am Orange, the most powerful sorcerer in the universe. As you may be aware, my power has recently been hijacked by an unworthy individual."

"Holy shit, you kept yourself alive with spirit magic!" said Halberd. "This really is amazing!"

"Halberd, my old friend. Do not fear, there will come a time when I shall resume life. She foretold it, and so it will be. But that time is not now, so please, allow me to help these young folks with their evil sorcerer problem."

"Halberd, how do you know Orange?" asked Joneas.

"We are both organic androids with extremely long lifespans."

"Well, that's good enough for me. I want to hear what the android sorcerer has to say," said Milangelo.

Orange began to recount the tale of Fort Barronym during the Dark Ages. It was the year 793, and dark wizards ruled the seven seas with fists of magic. However, Barronym was a peaceful haven where sorcerers, knights, and dinosaurs lived together sheltered from the turmoil and evil of the outside world. But that which is protected from the outside has no defence against the inside. King West Warbird had just told Henry Forebaggage that the dinosaurs were the friends and protectors of Barronym, and that hunting them for meat would lead to bad things in the kingdom's future.