Chapter 63

A/N: Sorry again for the late chapter! Forgive me? But anyway, please don't forget to vote and leave some comments about what you thought about the chapter. But even if you don't, I still appreciate you all!

_______________

Once back inside the house, I tried my best to ignore the cold air as I went into the living room and immediately darted my eyes toward the drooping rose. I didn't hesitate as I slowly made my way to the bizarre thing. I felt sad the more I scrutinized the plant because it reminded me of how much of a horrible job I've done in keeping it upright and well. How could I let this happen? This was my spiritual heart, which I've diseased with my burdens; and I was shocked by how I was just now realizing it. I believe that it should've been shown with the same amount of care as the one that's pumping to keep my body alive, and it was almost too late for that. Thank God that isn't the case now.

I was about to turn away, but a small green leaf caught my eye before I could. I asked myself if it had always been there or if it, all of the sudden, just grew out of nowhere while Adam and I were on our 'adventure'. I had no idea of knowing, but what I did know was that I really wanted to touch it, however, Adam thought otherwise.

"Don't even think about it, Dawn," he said, walking up to me. "Remember what happened to you the last time you touched that plant? You were probably thrown five feet away."

I raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "How did you know what I wanted to do? Does mind-reading also come along with being an angel?" A tired but genuine smile graced my lips as I crossed my arms.

"No, unfortunately, it doesn't," he said in a somewhat joking manner, and I giggled but was quick to make my face appear neutral as it was before. I was still upset about what happened in the in the memory with my dad.

With a heavy mind, I decided to walk past Adam and head for the window that I saw was behind him. I wanted to look outside and see if there was more to this than my broken-spirited house. Maybe while it was depressing in here, it could be beautiful outside, filled with a plethora amount of flowers and greenery. I was curious, so I went on; and I realized that when I was close to the window, it was cracked, and as I ran my fingers over the imperfections, I knew that Adam's eyes were on me the whole time, probably waiting to see my reaction to what was outside or just studying my every move to predict what I'd do next.

I focused my attention outside but only saw ugliness. The grass and all the trees were dead-everything was shriveled up-and there wasn't a single flower in sight. Not even one. The ground looked muddy and seemed as if it would serve as quicksand and swallow me up if I were to set foot on it. Man, the sight of the things before me felt like a kick in the stomach. I wanted to tear up but I refused because I've already done enough crying, although, I was still afraid. If dead and dying plants was all I saw in my spirit then what does that make of me?

When I noticed that Adam was beside me, also staring outside, I turned to him. "Is death all there is outside? Is there not even one flower I'm able to pick from the ground?"

"Don't worry," he said gently then pointed his finger on the glass, gesturing for me to gaze outside again. "Look. The beauty of your soul still continues to flourish with an abundance of flowers, but they just live very far from where your heart lives; for it's impossible for pure life to coexist where death also lies," he explained.

I had to squint my eyes hard at what he was pointing at before I was able to see a few colorful dots in the distance. "...Oh..." I said while still staring through the glass, "I understand." But then, suddenly, hope glistened within my eyes, making it obvious to him that my gloomy mood had somehow lifted a bit. "So... if I ask God to come back into my life, will He fix everything? Like, making my rose beautiful again and turning outside from a wasteland to something that actually looks nice or even decent?" I asked, twiddling my thumbs.