Chapter 34

A/N: This drawing of Dawn was made by Forever_Imagine. I absolutely love it!

***

I couldn't help but notice the slight surprise that sparkled in her iris'. It brightened her dulled out eyes, making her look a bit healthier... but I knew that... she was really miles from being healthy or okay. It hurt knowing this, it hurt real bad. I wish I wasn't so nosey...

"Hi Dawn," she sounded tired but still managed to hold onto that smile of hers, making her look strong. "I can't believe you came to visit me," she said as I bent over to gently hug her. Her voice was clouded, probably from all the yelling and crying she'd done. Trust me, when the pain of cancer hits-it hits hard.

"Of course." I smiled at her as I sat down on the chair next to her bed.

The doctor cleared his throat and we all looked up at him. "Bonnie will be transferred tomorrow to the children's hospital," he said and her parents nodded. "In the meantime, I will have my nurses constantly check up on her, alright? She's in good hands, there's no need to worry."

"Thank you doctor Tanaka for all you've done," Katherine said genuinely. "You were a huge help." She was fighting the urge to cry because she wanted to be strong for her daughter. A smile was all it took for her to win the battle.

"It was my pleasure," he said then walked toward the door to exit but before he did he looked back at us. "You know, you guys have a very tough little girl. She's a fighter." Bonnie smiled at his comment but it was a slim one because the pain medication was keeping her from her full potential. She did look a little loopy.

"Oh, we know doctor," Mike said proudly with a smile. "We know. She's been like that even before she was born. She used to kick me sometimes through my wife's belly when we would lay in bed. And those kicks hurt. I thought she was gonna be the next Bruce Lee."

"Oh yeah?" Doctor Tanaka shared a short laugh with all of us then excused himself because he had other patients to get to. After he left was when all our attention was on Bonnie but she was so drowsy and out of it, even more so than when we first came in here.

Katherine sat right next to her on the edge of the bed, gingerly rubbing her back. She wanted to comfort her the best she could at this moment. "Hey pumpkin," she said while softly smiling at her. Bonnie didn't return the smile this time. She was too high up in the sky to notice. "Do you feel any better?"

It took her a moment before she could answer. "Mmmm, uh-huh..." that was all she said and then there was silence; no one spoke a word...we just looked at her. Not creepily, but compassionately.

All I heard was the annoying IV machine each time it pushed more fluid into her median cubital vein. It beeped for a full second every five minutes. I dreaded that sound because it brought back so many memories I had in the past concerning the hospital but I forced them back.

We spoke to Bonnie a little longer until she finally fell asleep then we talked amongst ourselves to pass the time, encouraging each other that everything is going to be alright-that Bonnie is going to be okay and that they'll be no more worries. Not too long after that, Katherine asked if I was sick too. It was quite obvious that I was but I guess she was trying to make conversation with me. I was sitting down quietly, writing a poem about Bonnie.

I nodded my head, trying hard to hide my discomfort. "It's leukemia," my mom explained sadly. They didn't dare ask any further questions after that, but at least now they truly know that we understand what they're going through.

We've spent about an hour and a half inside the room before my mom thought it was time to leave. The nurse had already left about thirty minutes before us. All of us got up and hugged each other then we left. My mom did reassure me that we were going to visit her again. I was so relieved because I was worried that this was going to be our first and only visit.