Chapter 3

As I looked through the door window, I realized that there was nobody inside, so I diligently looked around to make sure I was alone. But then, suddenly, when I was about to open the door, I felt someone tap my shoulder. My hands immediately clamped down, tightly onto my rolly backpack handle. I was clenching onto it so much that it began to shake and I could imagine my hand was white, losing blood circulation. I felt compelled to scream, it was in my instinct to do so, but I managed to convert it into just a fear-stricken gasp.

"What are you doing?" A soft and curious voice asked.

My stomach churned and all the hairs on my body stuck up in pure terror as I turned around to meet the gaze of the boy before me. Only a second ago, I was completely alone, no one was behind or on either sides of me. How could I have missed him? Was he behind me the whole time and I just didn't see him?

"W-where did you come from?" My voice shook as I spoke and I hated that it did because now he knew that I was afraid. "I looked behind me a second ago, and I didn't see anyone there!" Anxiety caused shivers to course through my bones, making my body shake for a very short moment involuntarily.

Realizing the apparent fear in my eyes, he said, "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

There was a pause for a moment, then after that, my fright was replaced with annoyance and anger. I was already upset about having to come to school, and this just exasperated it. "Why did you have to sneak up behind me like that? Like some... like some freak? You nearly made me pass out just now!" I snapped, crinkling my face as I also straightened my back and lifted my chin to make myself look stronger and tougher than I really was.

He cleared his throat. "I was just on my way to room 413, my art class, but then I saw you and was curious as to what you were doing. Again, I'm sorry," he said while looking at me with genuine eyes.

After hearing how remorseful he was, I calmed down and took a quick moment to study him.

The first thing I noticed about him was his height. He was tall-really tall and seemed to succeed in making me look like a dwarf as I stood in front of him. He had on regular jeans and wore a medium sized white hoodie, and it was so white that it's had to have been bleached several times over to get it at such a shade. His hair was black, and his eyes were so blue-a deep ocean blue. They were just so beautiful that I found myself staring into them a tad bit too longer than I had planned before I finally averted my eyes to my clammy hands in embarrassment. I regretted yelling at him, after seeing how attractive he was.

"O-oh," I cleared my throat, "sorry for... staring. I'm just, uh, nevermind, it's-it's okay. You're not the only one at fault, anyway." I mentally bashed myself because of my awkwardness. "I-I yelled at you too, so I'm sorry about that too," I said trying to really be sincere. "I was also on my way there, but there is no room 413. See look, after 412 is room 316."

He looked to the right, then pointed at a sign leading to the stairs stating: Room numbers 413-436 upstairs. "Did you try going up the stairs?"

"O-oh," I said feeling like a complete idiot.

"Don't feel bad, it's not a big deal," he said with a slight smile, brushing it off as if it was nothing and it just made me feel... better. "Hey, you wanna walk to class together? We have the same class, right?"

"Uh, yeah. Okay," I said.

As we were walking to the stairs I put my head down so he wouldn't see me blush. Then I remembered that I and stairs don't mix together. Well mostly because it was hard for me to lift my heavy oxygen tank upstairs. That's why I sleep in the downstairs bedroom in my house. I would've had a bigger one that was upstairs, but hey.

I was afraid to look weak in front of him so I forced myself to carry it, but only a few steps of me going up the stairs, I stumbled on one of the steps and dropped it. With it also yanking my oxygen tube from my nose and pulling me down with it, making me fall on my side. The fear of embarrassment quickly snapped me back into reality. I got to my hands and knees trying to pick up my oxygen while ignoring the deep pain I had in my knee by smashing it on a step as I was falling down.

"Whoa, are you okay?" He asked concern was clearly written all over his face. "Here let me help you," he said while reaching out to help me up.

"Oh no, I'm fine." I insisted, desperately trying to hold back the tears behind my eyelids. "I.. I'm fine! Really."

As I was hastily trying to help myself, he knelt down to my level and said softly, "Hey, stop your obviously hurt. You don't have to do be embarrassed about falling, nobody's perfect. Please let me help you." His words were as soothing as milk. He held out his hand again, patiently waiting for mine. So I finally swallowed my pride and put my hand in his, allowing him to help me up. I winced in pain when I had to straighten my right knee. Then he gently put the tube back on my face and carried my heavy oxygen tank all the way up the stairs. I honestly have never met someone so kind.

"Th..thank you so much for your kindness. What's your name?" I asked timidly as we were walking to class.

"Huh?" He asked, seeming caught off guard.

"Well... I can't keep calling you boy can I?" I ask playfully.

There was a pause, and then finally he said, "Adam.. my name is Adam... Skyfe," after clearing his throat he said, "And you? What is your name?"

"My name is Dawn Smith," I said while knocking on the door. I was surprised to see my teacher from last year, Mrs. Charlotte answering the door. Hm.. I guess she has changed rooms, I thought. I had her last year in room 210, but shortly after school started, I was pulled out and put on strict bed rest.

"Well hello, my dear Dawn! Welcome back, I missed you so much!" She said excitedly while giving me a big hug. "Why don't you introduce yourself to the class?" It was a nice and warm welcome but everyone in the class was staring and I didn't like that.

"Um, hel...hello everyone..." I squeaked, barely getting the words out.

"A little louder, please, so everyone can hear you," my teacher said softly.

I nodded, then continued while projecting my voice a little bit more. "Hello everyone, my...my name...is Dawn Shmith... Smith!" I corrected.

In the background, I could hear some laughter. I looked at the wall in the back of the class to avoid looking into the beady eyes of my classmates.

"Class be quiet!" Mrs. Charlotte shouted. "Show some respect."

Just when I was thinking about bolting out of the classroom to burst into tears, Adam quickly sped in front of me and touched my lips and whispered to me, "Speak." I felt something like a shock of lightning, and instantly I was able to boldly tell the class all about me. It was like my tongue had been removed from its knot.

"When I grow up I hope to be a doctor, preferably one that specializes with disabled children and adults, I want to SkyDive one day, I am friendly and a lot of the times shy..."

As I was speaking Adam quietly went over to an empty seat in the back and it was a little weird how no one paid him any attention whatsoever, not even Mrs. Charlotte, she didn't even greet him when she answered the door, only me. And she pays attention to everyone. I thought to myself, that's odd, but didn't give it a second thought after that.

"Thank you so much for that lovely introduction Dawn, please make yourself comfortable and sit where ever you see an empty seat." Mrs. Charlotte said sweetly. There was an empty seat next to Adam so I went for it. "Where are you going?" Mrs. Charlotte asked.
"I'm going to sit in the empty seat in the back over there, next to..." She cuts me off.

"My my don't you think that's a little too far away? Why don't you sit right here in the front where you can see the board better." I wanted to refuse but she asked so kindly that I couldn't.

"Okay," I said.

---------------

Hey guys, I really hope you all liked the chapter.

And what do you guys think about Adam? Tell me in the comments, and please don't forget to vote and share.

~Gigi