Chapter 45

My heart began to batter against my chest, warming up my body after I heard the first knock on the front door. He'd never came over to my house before, so I was quite jittery about the whole thing while my mom hadn't even exposed the least amount of worry. She just calmly hummed a beautiful sounding song to herself while she placed the food on the glass plates we were going to eat on. Dinner had been finished for a little while now, but she kept it warming up over the stove as we waited for Adam to show up. She didn't want to start without him or give him cold food. She said everyone deserves the best.

“Dawn, you wanna get that?” she asked as she carefully laid the plates down on our dining table. Even after her gentleness, I still heard the deep clatter of the glass as it landed against the table cloth.

My house was usually always clean because neither I or my mom are messy people. If we make a mess we clean it up, if we've put something out of place then we moved it back, if we switched a light on then we turn it off. But, I guess, I should say that my mom is more organized than I am because she actually fixes her bed after she gets up in the morning. I, on the other hand don't because, well, what's the point?

Everything was neat and in order, but even so, after all this I found myself going back to the couches and the kitchen and even examining the floor for anything​ that I might need to fix. But thankfully, all was good.

“O—Okay,” I said then hesitantly walked over to the door. There was a mixture of pure excitement and anxiety dancing in my stomach, giving me nervous chills. I was so happy to see him again because it's been a while since the last time I have. Realizing this, I made a mental note that I just had to take a picture with him one day. One very good day.

When I opened the door, a smile graced my lips as soon as I saw Adam on the other side of it. He smiled widely in return and said, “Hey, it's been a while now, hasn't it?” I had just cracked my mouth open and was about to answer him, but he took a step forward and wrapped his large arms around me before I could. His warm embrace was tight, but also comforting and very soft. But, I guess, it was more so because of that darn white hoodie he always wore. “I was beginning to miss you. How are you?”

By the time he released me in order to look into my widened eyes, my heart had already flew to the moon and back; it was about ready to go on a second trip. “I—I'm feeling a little better today... thank you for asking,” I replied rather meekly, switching my attention between him and my shaky hands. “An—And it has been a while! I'm so happy that you decided to actually come over.”

He chuckled lightly. “It's a pleasure. Thank you for inviting me.”

“Well... the whole thing... it was sorta my mom's idea. She thought it would be nice... for us to hang out.”

“Oh really?” he said with a curious face. “That's interesting.” For a short moment, after that, he stared at me with his bright eyes, scanning my whole body but mostly he looked at my face. It brought color to my now rosey cheeks when he did that, especially when his lips lifted into a genuine smile​.

“What,” I said reaching for a random spot on my face. “Is there something on my fac—”

“No,” he laughed. “It's just that... you look great. Waaay better than you did in the hospital and... I'm so happy to see that.”

“Oh... right,” I said feeling silly, “th—thank you.” It was then when I realized that I was still in my home clothes. I forgot to change into a more appealing shirt and pants. The ones I'm wearing were faded, and had a couple stains on them that wouldn't go away no matter how many times I've​ put them in the washer! “Shoot! I didn't change my clothes before you—” my eyes widened. “...Um, come in. I'll be right back.”