Chapter 37

A/N: I'm so sorry for the late chapter!! But anyways I hope you like it.

-----

It was after school and my mom was upstairs in her room getting ready for work. I sat on the living room couch cuddled up in large thick blanket while watching a movie on Disney Junior. Shivers radiated throughout my whole body-I was cold, so freaking cold and I didn't know why. I slightly turned my head to take a glimpse of the temperature and when I did I saw that it was seventy-eight degrees. I shouldn't be cold but I am. All I could hope is that I wasn't coming down with a fever because it would really suck if I was-they're not kind to me.

On the coffee table sat my snack. It consisted of baby carrots and a small bowl of ranch. It was one of my most favorite things to eat, but I couldn't continue to eat it anymore. My stomach was just not having it; I felt nauseous and whenever I moved too sharply I felt the liquid in my stomach move which made it worse, so I just tried to stay still the best I could.

The smell of my mom's cooking filled the house-it was wonderful; the scent of baked vegetables and chicken complemented each other and made me long for it, but I already knew that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. My belly wouldn't allow me to. The thought of eating anything else made the acid in my stomach fizz up and it began to climb up my throat, burning it. I leaned and sat up, blocking my mouth with both of my hands while mentally counting to twenty. Thankfully, it went down before it got in my mouth because I hate the taste of vomit. Who doesn't?

"Dawn," my mom called from upstairs.

"Hmm?" I hummed because I seriously didn't have the energy to use any words right now, but I'll force myself if I have to.

"I'm about to leave," she said as she made her way to the kitchen, "I called Thomas not too long ago, alright? So he'll be here soon and your dinner will be waiting over the counter for you. Do not let this food go to waste, Dawn, you need the strength, you here?"

"Don't worry, I won't." My voice was very raspy when I spoke. I regretted not clearing my throat beforehand.

"Easier said then done," she said and I gave her a weak smile. "Look, baby, I already know you're not feeling well right now. Don't you know that you can't hide anything from me? I'm your mother; I have eyes everywhere."

I sighed and blinked my eyes for about a second then said, "I'm sorry, I just... don't want you to worry about..."

"Dawn, we talked about this already, remember? It's my job to take care of you. How can I do that when you're not telling me what's going on with you?" She asked and I looked down and shrugged, not knowing how to answer her. "Do you want me to stay home or are you well enough to be left with Thomas?" My mom said after a moment had past.

"No, mom, you should go to work. I'm fine, really," I said then she crossed her arms giving me a 'yeah right' look. "It's been such a long day at school. I'm... just a bit wiped out. I'll be fine by the time you get back home." She sighed, relaxing her posture then planted her soft lips on my forehead.

"Alright, fine. But don't forget to swallow the melatonin pill like you did last time. It's extremely important because it helps to do away with the seizers, okay?" She said while gently caressing my cheek.

"Mhm, I'll try to remember."

"You mean you will remember?" She eyed my playfully. "Alright, call me if you need anything. Oh, and there's extra food for Thomas in case he wants some. Don't forget to tell him, you know how much I hate wasting food, okay?"

"Alright, cya later," The front door closed soon after I said that and then... I was alone.

Knowing that Thomas would be here anytime now calmed my nerves a bit. It was enough for my stomach to relax. I was relieved because the thought of wasting my mom's food wasn't pleasant. She grew up in Haiti; had a house, nice neighbors and seven other siblings-but there were three rules. The first one was to love the Lord with all your heart, the second was to respect your elders and the third was to never ever waste your food. My grandparents ingrained that rule in her, but it's not so bad, I guess. It's just that I don't really have a big appetite all the time; like today.