Chapter 46

A/N: Here's another chapter for you all. I really hope you I like it!!!

------

My mom and I held our breathes at what Adam said, and my eyes widened, almost to where they would fly out of my sockets, making it clearly evident that we were shocked. The air between us became thick; I was so caught off guard, and felt so ashamed for laughing at her joke that I just kept silent, too afraid to speak. My eyes darted between the both of them, anxiously wondering who was going to speak first.

When a long moment had gone, and I thought no one was, my mom decided to finally lift her gaze from her food and speak.

"Adam, baby... oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. I-I didn't know," she said with emotion spewing from between her lips, then placed her spoon down, making a clanging sound when it hit the plate. She then quickly glanced over to me and than back at him. "I didn't-I had no right to say that."

Adam smiled gently then lifted his eyes to meet her worried gaze. "It's... it's alright," he said, "don't worry about it."

"Are you... sure?" she asked, twiddling her thumbs. Just like me, she does that when she's nervous. "Because I-"

"Yeah," he interjected, "you didn't know, like you said, so it's okay. Just... forget it. It's not a huge deal, really."

"O-Okay," she said after an unsure moment, then began eating the last bit of her food again.

The room fell into an awkward silence, that I could tell, weighed heavily on all of us and not just me. Also, I could tell by glimpsing into my mother's eyes, that she yearned to know more about this mysterious boy and his family. She reluctantly kept her mouth shut, though, for Adam's sake but it still didn't quench the fire in her eyes. I wanted to know more about him too, but I'd hate to ever make him uncomfortable.

And, I guess, I could kinda relate to him in a way, since... I didn't really like to talk about my dad either. I tried my best to keep my feelings and thoughts about him to myself, because even talking to my mom about my dad was nerve-wracking, and always left me in tears.

All that was heard, was the silverware lightly hitting onto the glass plates as they ate. I, on the other hand wasn't eating, because I honestly didn't feel hungry. I just played around with my food, absentmindedly, contemplating whether I should eat it or secretly throw it away.

I didn't know how I was going to pull that off but I just knew that if I didn't, then my mom wasn't going to let me leave the table until I was finished, since I didn't didn't even get through half of my food last night. Should I just force myself to eat?

"Dawn?" Adam softly called, pulling me from my thoughts. I quickly lifted my blank gaze from the table, at the sound of my name, to meet his gaze. When I did, I noticed that there was concern in his eyes. I then glanced at my mom for a second, from the corner of my eye, only to see the same expression on her face. "Are you okay? You've been staring off into space for a while. You're... not hungry?"

"Hm?"

"Yeah," my mom interjected before I could finish talking, "are you? ...Because-"

"What?" I swallowed nervously then quickly picked up my spoon and filled it with food, holding it up as if I was about to eat it. "Why... why would there be something wrong. I-I'm fine."

"Well, maybe it's just that you haven't even touched your food. Look, Adam and I are already done, but you... you're not even half way down." Disappointment and a touch of frustration was in her voice as she spoken. "We've talked about this, Dawn."

I really couldn't blame my mom for her frustration. She was worried and... I understood that; I wasn't ignorant of how she felt or what was going on. If I don't eat, then I die and that's what's probably on her mind, thinking the worst case scenario, twenty-four seven, giving her anxiety. I've noticed a change in her; she's been a bit on edge these past few weeks, but again, I can't place any blame on her. I've just been released from the hospital not too long ago and now I have to follow instructions from my doctor to get as much rest and sleep as possible.