Chapter 56

A/N: Hey guys, sorry for the late chapter. Forgive me, school has been really time consuming! But thank you for those who are patient and please vote!! Thank you and God bless💕

__________________

Thomas

I showed Alana the poem Dawn had written as soon as I left her room, and told her that I thought she might've run away to maybe cause herself harm. 

What if she's already... dead? Are we too late? How could I have not known that she was suicidal? That fact about her must've shown up in her personality somewhere, but when I thought back, on our time together, I still never would've guessed that a girl as innocent and as beautiful as her would even have the slightest idea of killing herself. It confounded me so much that I found myself asking if this was real—that Dawn was missing, and we couldn't find her.

Is this real life?

When Alana broke down on a kitchen stool, I went ahead and told her not to worry and that I was going to look for her and find her. My initial intention was to try and cheer her up a little, but hearing that from me made her weep much harder to where she was starting to wail.

Still teary-eyed, she mumbled, "I... I want my baby," she cried bitterly, "where is she? Where... had she gone? Oh, Lord, please... lead us to her."

I looked up and stared at her for a short moment after she said that and thought, why do keep relying on this God of yours? What's so good about Him? Even if He were real, I don't believe He'd have the slightest concern for her. Just look at the world. Why can't you just... understand that?

I bit the inside of my cheek then mildly shook my head, forcing my thoughts to go away. "I'll go around the neighborhood and ask some of the neighbors if they've seen Dawn anywhere." She didn't even look at me when she nodded. She just kept her eyes hidden behind the tissue she used to catch her tears. "If someone tells me anything helpful, I'll ring you up, alright?"

"Mhm," she hummed softly. "And... thanks so much for getting involved and helping in this situation. It... means a lot to me."

"Of course. Dawn means a lot to me and I honestly couldn't imagine myself doing other things like minding my own business, when I know that she's missing." I wouldn't have it in me to do that. "I'll be back in a while," I said then finally left.

***

After I've questioned all the neighbors that we're near Dawn's house and heard nothing at all helpful from them, I did my own search for a little while; and when nothing looked up, I began to feel a band of discouragement wrap around my hopefulness, wearing me out. Where in the world was she? I've run out of options.

I thought about returning to Alana's house, where I could now see two cop cars that we're parked in her driveway, but I didn't want to tell her this dry news that I haven't found Dawn anywhere and that none of the neighbors saw her either. I really didn't because I already promised her that I'd bring her back. How could I face her now?

My fists were clenched as I was making my way back to Dawn's house, and it wasn't until I glanced down at my hands that I saw how white they've become from loss of blood flow. I was so unbelievably upset that I couldn't find her. We're already too late, I just know it. I can feel it.

I was so desperate at this point, I could try anything, even if that meant challenging the God Alana holds so high. It took some convincing to even open my mouth; my pride was large and bulky, but it was worth a shot. Wasn't it?