Chapter 14

Blood was still dripping from my chin as we made it to the bathroom. Thankfully, there wasn't anyone inside, but we both went inside the big stall. Just incase someone were to come.

I hope I didn't leave a trail on the floor, I thought.

When we got inside the first thing I did was to look at myself in the mirror. I put my hands around the sink and began to weep as I saw my reflection. There was blood all over my nose and mouth. I saw a few drops dripping from my chin and fell into the sink.

I guess...it wasn't just a simple nose bleed.

My eyes were puffy from crying, my mascara was running, my foundation was smeared from wiping the tears that ran down my face, and my beautiful shirt was stained. It was all because of me.

While I was still crying, I saw Meg grab some toilet paper and dampened it with some water. Then she started to gently wipe my face with it. My make up was also being wiped off but I stopped caring at this point.

"Hey, hey," she said lowly, trying to get me to stop sobbing. "You shouldn't let people get to you like that."

"I didn't mean to cry in front of everybody," I said through my sobs. "I...It just came out." I tilted my head up so that the blood could find its way back down.

The paper she was using was now bloody, so she threw it away, got more and dampened it to continue cleaning my face.

"You know," she started. "My daddy always told me to never cry in front of people who want to hurt you."

"Why?" I asked.

Her hazel eyes met my brown ones, then she said, "Because you're giving them power over you by you letting them see your weakness, and you must never give them that opportunity." She said.

"S...So, what do you want me to do? Hold my tears in? I think not," I said while rinsing off my hands and arms.

"Girl, you need to grow a back bone." She said bluntly. "If people are being mean or saying stuff about you, then you have two options. You can either keep a straight face with no emotion or you can be rude to them back."

"B...But i'm not good at keeping a straight face or saying rude things to people's faces! Plus I don't think anyone would listen to a girl who's attached to an oxygen tank." I said sadly, while holding up the tube. "They'd probably just laugh at me again."

"Did you not see what I did in there? Those kids know not to mess with me, because if they do they're going to get it." She said with sass and I laughed a little.

"You're really funny," I said, starting to cheer up a bit.

"Yeah, I know," she sighed, while flipping her curly hair in the air, and I sucked my teeth at her playfully. "Okay, we're done here, i'll walk you to the nurse so you can call your mom and hopefully go home."

"Oh, Meg, you don't have to walk me all the way there. I can just..."

"It's fine, the bell is about to ring in like five minutes anyways." She said while opening the door for me and motioned for me to get out.

"Thanks," I said while putting on a brave smile and she nodded.

Before we left I took a good look at myself at the mirror in the middle of the bathroom. I looked... I looked... pretty. I think.

I don't know why...but when I looked at my bare face, without make up or blood, Adams words flashed through my head.

I think you're cute, Dawn. I flustered at the thought of him, then smiled slightly at my reflection. Maybe, me being ugly is all in my head and that I am actually...beautiful.