Chapter 59

Once I turned around, my eyes confirmed that I was right. It was Adam that had spoken. While still on the floor, I couldn't help but to gasp and dumbly gaze at up him, wide-eyed.

"Adam?" I wondered allowed as I wiped my dampened cheeks.

Although, when I saw him approach, it was only instinct for me to jump up to my feet, unfortunately, I stumbled, making me look anything but graceful. I took a few steps forward, frowning slightly but it wasn't like my minor embarrassment truly meant anything. This was a dream after all. I managed myself and that was all that mattered. But I still couldn't help the feeling of self conscious wash over me about my hair. Was it a mess? Oh my goodness, what if it was? I quickly took a glance at the mirror I remembered seeing when I first walked in this living room; but then turned away from my reflection, relieved to see that my hair was somehow still presentable even though it was free.

It's felt like it's been forever since the last I've seen his beautiful face, dark hair, and welcoming eyes; and even though, recently I've been trying to forget about the tender feelings I had toward him and bury them in the back of my mind, they still never seemed to have fully went away. After he ghosted me for a while, I just came to the conclusion that he might've not liked me the way that I hoped; it was a painful realization. Rejection exploded within my stomach, leaving it in tightly twisted knots and it also left me broken hearted. But that's why it's important for tall and hard walls to be built; they help to protect you when you feel the most vulnerable.

But now, it didn't take long for me to realize that all my efforts to stop the love-like feeling I had for him was in vain because, as I stood before him, I felt them return and even double.

He eyed me for a second, smiling slightly as he nodded. "Yes. It's been some time since we last laid eyes on each other," he said. "Also, I do apologise for the distance I've put between us and I assure you that my absence had nothing at all to do with you, but I speak the truth when I say that I've missed talking and spending time you. And even though I might sound selfish in saying this, I was actually looking forward to this day."

I smiled inwardly; he actually missed me? His simple but sweet words brought color to my face and achieved to make my heart beat faster, but I forced myself to quickly suppress these feelings and put them away because of how foolish I felt, knowing that this was just a dream and nothing more.

There were honestly more important things to be spoken and thought about anyways.

I cleared my throat as I lightly straighten my dress. "You were? Thank you, I've... I've missed you too." I mentally cursed myself for sounding so nervous. "But what do you mean when you said that the rose is my... heart?"

Adam's smile faded away at my question, leaving me confused as he stared at me for a short moment, scrutinizing me. When I first laid my eyes on his, I recognized that they were soft like I've always remembered them to be, but now, I saw that concern slowly filled them up, which also made me become a little on edge. What burden laid so heavily on his mind that it allowed his uneasiness to show?

"Do you know where you are, Dawn, or even how you've come to be here?" He spoke calmly as he looked around at the broken and beaten down place before he returned his focus back to me. I noticed that he avoided my question but I let it go, telling myself that I'd ask him again later.

I still found it difficult to control my muscles as they continued to quickly contract and expand; but now, I wondered if it was the bitter cold that caused my tremors or was it now, my eagerness to know the answer of his question, that caused them. For some reason, I was curious as to what Adam had to say for why I was here or how I got here in the first place. He seemed to know the answer.