Chapter 23

***********

Ten years ago...

**************

I was home alone with my daddy while mommy went shopping. She told me to stay and be daddy's little doctor while she was away, because he hasn't been feeling well lately.

It has been a little over a month that he's been sick. He keeps saying that he'll get better but...he's still sick...

Hmm, it's probably just a stupid cold, I thought.

In the meantime, I was vigorously searching throughout my room for my stethoscope. I needed it in order to be my daddy's doctor. How could someone be a doctor without one?

As I was ripping through the clothes in my dresser, I saw something gleam into the corner of my eye.

I quickly turned to where the sparkle came from and followed it to under my bed.

Excitement rushed through my tiny body, as if I had just been given a new doll.

After I had grabbed it, I put it on my bed along with my notepad and pen. Then I rushed to the bathroom to change into the doctor's lab coat my mommy had bought for me.

When I was done, I grabbed the things I needed and raced upstairs.

I tiptoed with a huge smile on my face as I got closer to his door so he wouldn't hear me. I wanted to surprise him.

Just as I was slowly opening the door, I heard him slightly groan in what seemed like pain. Even though I'm just five years old, I still knew that it wasn't a good sign. Maybe he has the flu?

"Daddy?" I whispered as I was entering the room, but only got a deep sigh in reply.

I turned on the light and walked up to his bedside, only peeking my big brown eyes at him. "Papa?" I whispered again and then he slowly opened his very tired amber colored eyes.

When I looked at them it was like the light that was in them before had completely died out.

"Hello...my little baby," he said, smiling faintly. "What's...up?"

I popped my head up so that he would be able to see the concern in my face. "Are you okay?" I asked as sweet as I could, tilting my head.

He breathed and looked at me with sad eyes. "Oh, Dawn, please don't worry about me. I just have a stubborn cold, that's all," he said reassuringly.

"But it's my job to worry about you. You're my patient!"

He chuckled, "I'm your patient?"

I nodded, "Yes, you are. Look," I said showing him my stethoscope, uniform, and notepad. "Can I take care of you?"

He closed his eyes and groaned again, squeezing onto the bed tightly. Why is he doing this? Is he...is he in pain? I asked myself as he started to relax himself once again. "I don't think that's a good idea... right now...sweetie. I'm sick and I don't want you catching what I have. Trust me, it's terrible."

"But, papa..."

"Dawn," he said interrupting me. "Because I love you, i'm going to have to ask you to leave. I don't want you getting si..." he quickly covered his mouth and began coughing pretty hard, before he could finish his sentence.