CH 66: No Contradictions Allowed

PARK'S POV

What do I say to him? He keeps calling me his brother, which I technically am, but the way he says it with fondness is not something I think I deserve. My thoughts are dashing madly around my brain, when the door to my room is pushed open and in stride two men.

They look the three of us over before saying, "The hospital called to let us know you were awake. They reported you came in with a gunshot wound. We're here to find out what happened and to take your official statement." The policemen eyed Yo and Phana, "And you two are?"

Yo stands from his chair, still holding my hand. He looks very meek and sad with the pouty look that's covering his face suddenly. Where did that look come from? He was fine a minute ago.

"Officers, I'm so glad you're here. I am Wayo Panitchayasawad and I didn't want to leave my injured brother's bedside, or I would have already called to report the incident." He says quietly as he holds my hand to his chest. I hear Pha snort softly, but he covers it with a cough. "This is my boyfriend Phana Kongthanin. We were both there when the incident happened. Do you mind if I go first? It upsets me so much to relive this event, I'm not sure I'd be able to continue if I hear details from the others first."

"Of course, son, we don't want you too upset. Just take your time and tell us everything that happened." One of the officers responds to him in a kind voice.

And so begins a sweeping tale, told by Yo in a sing song voice. We were all immediately captivated by his story of two long lost brothers fighting to hang on to their new-found kinship, but being torn apart by an unknown female assailant who attacked without warning then escaped. When he finishes speaking, he breaks down into quiet sobs.

Trying to clear the fog from my entranced brain, I give my head a few shakes. Looking at the other three men in the room, I can tell from the far away looks in their eyes and their dazed expressions that they feel the same as I do.

The officers quickly recover and looks at me, "You and you brother were very brave and lucky to have survived this traumatic event."

Uhm, what?

-------------------

PHANA'S POV

Right now, I don't know whether to be amazed by boyfriend's abilities or strangle him for the almost completely fabricated story he just convinced the police was true. To be fair, he really didn't lie about anything except Pring escaping. However, he definitely twisted the truth to suit his needs. Even I almost believe Yo's story is the way everything actually happened, and I know the truth. Those poor cops don't stand a chance.

Next, it's my turn and I tell them what I heard over the phone and saw when I arrived at the auditorium. There's nothing there that refutes Yo's story or detracts from it. I just leave out the fact I know who the attacker is. The policemen look satisfied so far, as they turn to Park for his turn.

Now here is the moment of truth. What will he do?

-------------------

PARK'S POV

"Alright, son. Let's get your statement." The main officer says as everyone turns to face me.

Before I start, my gaze runs around the room. It moves from the two policemen to land on Pha, then shies away from him to settle on Yo. However, I almost flinch back from the fierce and determined look on his face as his eyes flash blue for just an instant.

"Brother, let me get you a drink of water to ease your sore throat before you start." He says as he picks up the cup from the bedside table then leans in close to me, helping me drink. He whispers near my ear, "Don't even think about contradicting me. Do you understand?" When he pulls back, he looks me in the eyes and I give him a small nod.