CH 22: Dirty Laundry with Kit

PHANA'S POV

Banging on my door accompanied by Kit's yelling voice drug me from my bed. Again. Why is it he can never knock like a normal person? I fling the door open and give him a dirty look, but he just walks past me into my room, completely un-phased.

"I have given you three days! Three days, Ai'Asshole, and you have given me nothing!"

I feel like he started in the middle of his conversation instead of the beginning. I've definitely missed something, but I can see he's upset with me. "What was I supposed to give you?"

He stares at me in complete disbelief. "Are you kidding me right now?!? The boy! I want to know about the boy! I didn't ask questions after Sunday, thinking you would finally open up and talk to me about him soon, but... nothing! I'm done waiting. Spill it. Now!"

"Ai'Kit, I don't think I'm ready..."

"I don't want to hear it! You've tried to keep this a secret for 15 years now. You will tell me. Today."

It's hard to argue with Kit when he gets determined like this. I know he just wants what's best for me, but Yo has been my closely guarded secret for so long, it's hard to let go of it. However, I really could use someone to talk to about the best way to handle this situation.

"Sit down, this is going to take a while."

Kit is staring at me in slack-jawed shock. I guess he didn't expect me to give in so easily. He closes his mouth and warily takes a seat on my couch, waiting for me to start.

I walk to my mini-fridge and grab a bottle of water, then take a seat in one of my chairs. I take a deep breath and begin explaining.

"I met Yo 15-years, 6-months, and 21 days ago." I stop and take a drink of water, letting that sink in. Yes, I even know down to the days. I wasn't keeping track at first, but a few years in I went back and figured it out and have kept track ever since.

"His mother came into the hospital where I was working in the Cancer Ward and he came with her. He was not quite 4 years old then. His mother was sick. No that's not true, she was dying. She came in to try some experimental treatments to try and extend her life. She was in the hospital for a few months in the VVIP rooms and I was assigned her case. Yo was there with her every day. Their butler would drop him off in the morning and pick him up in the evening."

"He was so young, Ai'Pha. How was that good for a small child?"

"It wasn't, but he missed his mother. Would you have denied a small child spending time with his dying mother?"

Kit just shakes his head. He seems engrossed with my story.

"Yo was such an adorable child, with chubby cheeks and messy hair." I chuckle, "Much the same as he is now. He was always running around he ward, making everyone smile. He had all the nurses wrapped around his little fingers. He was never loud or obnoxious. When he got tired, he would sit beside his mother in bed, playing with her hair or singing quietly with her. It was sad to watch."

"Where was his father? Why wasn't he there with them?"

"At the time I didn't know and honestly I didn't ask. It wasn't my business. He came back for the funeral, when Yo's mom passed away. It was awful. He's a real bastard. But I'm getting ahead of myself, let me go back."

"After about three months of experimental treatments and no success, she finally accepted that she didn't have much time left. She didn't want to waste any more time in the hospital, and decided to spend the time she had left at home with Yo."