CH 6: Sticking Close

WAYO'S POV

It's Monday and Sonthi just dropped me off at the gates of the school, as he drives away I turn to find Ming waiting for me. He gives me a smile as I walk towards him, and I return it with a shy one of my own.

As I reach his side, he throws his arm over my shoulders and we walk into school together.

"How was the rest of your weekend?" He asks me.

"Fine. I just did homework and read a little. What about you?"

"Oh, I just goofed off and hung around the pack house. Did you play the piano again?"

"No, why?"

He leans in close and whispers in my ear, "Ai'Yo, you play the piano really well and you look very pretty while you do it. Will you play the piano for me again sometime?"

I can feel my face and ears burning as I stutter out, "Uuhh, s-sure, Ai'Ming."

We come to a halt in the middle of the hall when someone steps in front of us. I look up and watch Forth smack Ming on the head, "What are you doing to N'Yo to make him blush that red."

"Ooww, P'Jerk! Nothing! I was just asking him to play the piano for me."

Forth looks over at me, "You play the piano, Nong?"

Before I can answer Ming does it for me, "He's really good P'! He was playing on Saturday when I went over to visit. It was amazing. You need to come with me next time, so you can hear it."

"Alright, I guess I need to do that." Forth is really tall compared to me, but he leans down a little until we're eye to eye, "Would it be ok, Nong, if I come over sometime?"

His face is so close to mine I can feel his warm sweet breath sweep across my skin. I can only stammer out, "O-of c-course, P'Forth."

Ming reaches over and gets his revenge by lightly smacking Forth on the back of the head this time, "Who is making him turn red now? Stop it, we're at school."

Forth growls at Ming as he jerks his hand back. They're pretty funny. I let go of a small laugh at their actions and they both stop their play fighting to look at me. Smiles cross both of their faces.

We talk for a few minutes about miscellaneous things, before Ming turns to me asking, "Ai'Yo, do you need anything at your locker."

"No, I have everything for class with me. Why?"

"Because, I'm going to walk over with you."

Ming dropped me at my first class and my day began. This day was very different from my previous school days though because either Forth or Ming were with me most of the day.

When first period ended Forth was there when I walked out the door, he walked with me to my next class. He was also there when second period ended and walked me to my third class. Ming was there waiting for me when I came out of that one and he walked me to fourth period. Both of them were waiting for me when it was time for lunch. I was a little bemused by the whole process, but was very glad to get to spend time with them.

Lunch was a little awkward at first, since I had only spent one afternoon with Ming and only a tiny bit of time with Forth and didn't know the other four guys at all. But Ming and Forth both smoothed the way by keeping the conversation flowing and including me in it.

"N'Yo, when do you get to stop wearing this bandage?" He pointed at the large band-aid on my forehead.

"It'll be at least a week, P'Forth, but it's a lot smaller than the bandage I had to wear this weekend. I'm glad the doctor said I could change to this smaller one, I would have hated wearing the big one to school. The doctor said I needed to keep it covered until the stitches come out."

"Ai'Yo, you going to come watch us practice after school?" Ming asks me.

"Uhm, sure, I'd like that." I give Ming and Forth a big smile.

"Good." Forth says as he ruffles my hair.

When the bell rings Forth walks me back to class and the afternoon continues like the morning. Either Forth or Ming is there every time one of my classes lets out, and at the end of the day, it's Ming who walks with me to the courts.

--------------------

MING'S POV

I picked up Yo at his last class and we stopped by our lockers before heading over to the courts. When we arrived, the other guys were waiting for us.

I walked Yo over to the bench and this time I made it a point to tell him, "Ai'Yo please don't leave this area without one of us, ok? You scared me last time when you got hurt and I don't want to see that again, na?"

"Yes, Ai'Ming." He was looking at the ground.

Satisfied with his agreement, I went and joined the guys on the court for our game. Every now and then I would glance at the bench to make sure Yo was still there, but he never moved.

--------------------

FORTH'S POV

After the game, we walked with Yo to the front gates of the school and waited with him for his ride. When he was safely in the car and off to home, I turned to Ming to talk about today.

"So, the guy who just picked him up is who?"

"The creepy butler. P' you won't understand until you see his house for yourself, but it's awful. He's all alone in that big creepy mausoleum. I don't know how he can stand it."

"Well, if it's all he's ever known, he wouldn't know the difference N'Ming." I change the subject, "Today went pretty well I think."

"Yeah, P', not bad at all." Ming agrees. "I did see a couple of those boys earlier in the day, but no one got close enough to do anything to him while we were around. Honestly, P', my biggest concerns is that if something does happen and we don't see it, he's not going to tell us."

"Why not?"

"Come on, you've spent a little time talking to him now P'. Do you actually think he would tell us if something happened?"

"No, probably not." I sigh, "Then we'll just have to stick close to him for a while to make sure nothing happens."