CH 39: Species Change

WAYO'S POV

I wake up and immediately lift my wrist in front of my face. I can't believe it. It's really there. The white bracelet. It wasn't a dream. I kick off the covers and jump up and down on the bed as I squeal in excitement.

I have a boyfriend. I'm standing in the middle of the bed and my legs give way underneath me as I sit down. I say it out loud to make it feel real, "Pha is my boyfriend." Still unbelievable.

The ringer on my phone sounds and a reach for it and look at the caller id to see it's my family lawyer calling. Hmm, I wonder what he needs this early in the morning and on a Sunday.

"Good morning, uncle."

"Good morning, Wayo." We chat for a few minutes catching up, "Wayo, I need to meet with you this morning. I have someone to introduce you too."

I'm curious. He's never introduced anyone to me before, "Sure, I can be ready in an hour. Do you want to meet somewhere?"

"No, we'll come to your dorm room at 10am." I look at the clock. It's 8:30 now. That gives me enough time to get breakfast too after I get cleaned up.

"Ok, see you then."

--------------------

It's 10am on the button when there's a knock at my door. I hurry to answer it and let Kovit in. Kovit Jaiyen is not really my uncle, he's our family lawyer. He's looked after my financial interests and trust fund since my mother died, so I've known him a long time.

When I pull the door open, uncle Kovit is there with another man behind him, who is wearing a hat and large sunglasses. I exchange wais with uncle then invite them into my room.

After a few pleasantries and finding seats, uncle Kovit get right down to business. "Wayo, there's someone I want you to meet," he gestures to the man beside him who starts to remove his accessories, "this is your uncle Charong Sengsuwan. He was your mother's older brother."

I stare at Kovit in shock. "I have an uncle?"

"Yes, you do." The stranger answers.

My eyes move to his now exposed face and I take in his familiar features. There's no doubt this man is part of my family. He looks so much like my mother I can hardly believe it. He looks a lot like me too, or I guess I should say I resemble him.

"I'm glad to see you took after your mother in looks. Achara was very beautiful."

I answer politely, but I'm a little standoffish, "Thank you. Yes, she was." I look from Kovit to Charong, "I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude, but I have to ask. Why have I never met you before?"

"Honestly, because Achara asked us to stay away. She did what she thought was best for you at the time. We honored her wishes, even if we didn't agree with them."

"I'm confused. If my mother asked you to stay away, why are you here now." Why would she do something like that? I was so alone after she died? Why leave me like that?

"She asked us to stay away until you were older. Until you needed us, and now you do." While I ponder his cryptic answer, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a folded envelope, which he hands over to me. "Your mother left this letter for you. She wanted you to have it when the time was right, and I think that's now."

I glance down at the envelope in my hands and unfold it. It has my name written across it in a beautiful script handwriting. I look up at the men across from me, "Should I read it now?"