CH 29: A Howl in the Night

PHANA'S POV

Why am I in this bar right now with Kit and Beam? I have way more important things to worry about than my friends' love lives. Like this stupid contest Yo now has to compete in. I need to talk to his class president, maybe I can still get him out of it. There has to be some way.

I feel a hard slap land on the back of my head and turn to face Kit who is sitting beside me. "Why did you hit me?" I ask him, more than a little annoyed.

"Because we've been trying to get your attention for the last few minutes, but you have been thinking about something else. Have you been listening to us at all?"

"Of course, I have. I was just considering your options." I blatantly lie.

"What options?" Beam pipes up. "There is only a yes or no answer here, and I say no." He looks at Kit, "I don't know why you stopped me from rejecting him last night. It might have been harsh, but at least it would have been a clean kill. Now we're just dragging it out. It will only hurt them worse when we reject them later."

"You keep saying we, but I have not made my choice yet." Kit says stubbornly. "I've said it before, I'm not going to make a snap decision on this. You can do whatever you want though. I mean it's not as if your choice is important or anything, it can only completely destroy the life of one innocent person. You're right, what's there to contemplate."

"Wow, Ai'Kitty, aren't you just a ray of sarcastic sunshine." Beam says. He looks Kit over carefully then sneers at him. "You're really considering mating that dog, aren't you?"

"He's not a dog, he's a wolf, and... maybe. Like I said I'm going to think about it." Kit turns to me. "Do you think Yo would answer some questions for me if I ask him about Ming?"

"I think Yo will tell either of you anything you could possibly want to know if it means you will give his friends a chance. He desperately wants them to be happy. He's been surrounded by wolves the last three years, so he's pretty sensitive about them possibly being rejected. He was completely horrified, when I mentioned it as a possibility."

Kit stands up, "Let's go then."

"Where?" I ask.

"To see Yo, of course." He responds.

Well that's what I wanted to do anyway, "Ok, let's go."

--------------------

KIT'S POV

Beam keeps saying he's going to reject his wolf, but I'm not so sure about what he's really thinking.

All I know is that I'm definitely uncertain about what I'm going to do with Ming. I'm not ready to jump in bed with him and become his mate yet, but at least I'm open to considering the possibilities.

I like the idea that someone could have been made for me. That someone could be perfect for me. Go ahead and shoot me, but deep down, hidden under a few layers of sarcasm and grumpiness, I'm a closet romantic. I've never been interested in one-night stands and I'm fine with surviving off bagged blood if I don't have a stable partner in my life. Which, admittedly, I haven't had for a while.

Beam put the wolves into a holding pattern the other night when he told them they could have some time to court us. Three months to be exact. If they could convince us within that three months' time to mate them then great. If not, we would formally reject them.

I was actually surprised by Beam when he said this. He could have given them a week or 10 days or even a month. Why three months? That time frame alone made me think he might consider giving his wolf a chance, even though he's acting very nonchalant and put off about this whole thing. It's like he wants to make sure he gives Forth enough time to convince him.