III. When and where is this?

Start from the beginning

I was about to tell her that when I heard the bell rang. I automatically covered my ears and winced.

"Off I go, Clementine. Take a rest here, my child and please, just please. Watch your mouth," she added as she rose from her seat and quickly opened the door and went.

Of course, I stared at her before she disappeared from my sight and realized she was wearing a plain navy-blue gown and a white apron. Her blonde hair is up.

I slowly rose from my bed, I mean from the bed since I am definitely sure this was not mine or my family's.

I wander around the room and I look outside from the window and because of that, I cannot help myself from getting amazed by what I'm seeing right now. I am definitely not in my house because this house was far too huge.

The land is covered with different kinds of flowers. Literally. Almost all of them are flowers that I've never seen before and I can see a pond just right in the corner. There were also so many perfectly-made statues and tell you what, this was my first time seeing a maze and despite the fact that I am in a very high level, I still can't find the maze's end.

Where the hell is Minotaur?

I continued walking around the room until I saw a girl who looks exactly like me who is wearing the same attire as Martha. We have the same fair skin, same dark straight hair that falls right above the shoulder, same hazelnut eyes, same long eyelashes, and same freckles that look like constellations under my eyes that I am constantly insecure about.

I slowly step back until I realize that this girl in front of me was no other than me myself. And that I am standing right in front of a mirror.

Then I heard the door open once again and I don't know why but I almost cried when I saw Miss Dolores standing right in front of me.

I quickly went to her and asked, "What's happening? I don't understand all this. Why did you push me into the sea and where am I? I'll tell Grandpa all about this."

Ms. Dolores took a seat right in the corner and said, "one at a time."

"What is happening?" I asked, my arms crossed. My brows meeting.

"Miss Clementine Wright, you just time-traveled to the Victorian period." I was about to scream when Ms. Dolores covered my mouth and said, "Keep your voice down."

"Why am I in the Victorian era? What year is it? 18 what?" I panicky asked. Still not digesting what's happening.

"The year is 1888 and obviously, Queen Victoria is reigning right now." she answered as if this is nothing to worry about.

"Don't worry, Clementine. Everyone here knows you're just a simple new girl in this town with zero relatives. Also, you've made a handful of friends already here so don't be surprised if someone you don't know come running towards you,"

"The very reason why you're in this period is that of the task you're destined to do since the day you've been born."

"And what's my so-called mission?" my head just kept on hurting.

"Your very task is to kill Mr. Douglas Bennett." She answered.

That made me open my eyes as wide as possible due to this revelation.

"First off, are you kidding me? Why would I kill Mr. Douglas Bennett or anyone in general? Plus, I don't even know who Douglas Bennett is!"

"Keep your voice down, Clementine. We don't wanna spoil your mission, aren't we? And in case you forgot, you don't own this house."

"Just do what I say. Kill him and you're back to your silly old bedroom with thousands of maids following you." Miss Dolores replied. I have this urge to pull her hair right now due to frustration.

"But why would I kill him? I deserve a valid reason. I am no hitman!" I respond, pulling my hair instead.

"That I cannot answer, my child. For you to find out why is part of your mission," she said, shrugging.

That made me more annoyed as hell. Why can't she just go back to being a teacher of mine and forget this all? I promise I'll read one of her silly old books.

"Who is Douglas Bennett?" I slowly asked, my eyes closed. I can feel my eyes getting wet.

"He's the owner of this mansion. The one we work for," she quickly answered and that caught me off guard.

"Th-the one we work for?" My brow is rising due to confusion.   

"You heard it right. The one we work for. As you can probably guess, you're now wearing a maid uniform which only means in this period, you, my darling, are a housemaid." her answer almost made me faint because goodness gracious, I don't even know how to wash the dishes on my own and now you're telling me I'm a housemaid? Are you kidding me? Please let this all be a dream.

"Just keep in mind that your very mission is to kill Douglas Bennett and maintain a low-profile in this household." She reminded me and with that, she rose from her seat and brushed off whatever was in her white gown.

"Surely, you remember all the do's and don'ts in the manual I kept on giving you. Your survival in this era depends on your knowledge of that book," Miss Dolores added. That's the point, to be honest, I never really read that Victorian era book, probably the first three pages but I always ended up closing it due to boredom.

If only I knew that I'll be transported in this era then I will surely memorize every word that book says.

All I remember is that meekness is a desirable trait here and being meek is not in my book of qualities.

"H-how about- '' I haven't had the chance to finish my statement when suddenly, a girl probably three years older than me appears in the door.

"Mr. Douglas Bennett is waiting for you, Missis Dolores." she formally said, here we go again with the word 'Missis'