I. stupid victorian era

Chapter 1

I locked myself inside my room with loads of to-be-read books by my side. A normal day for me since I am homeschooled and have zero friends. Well, I do have loads of friends if and only if you consider fictional characters as friends.

Suddenly, I heard a loud and irritating knock on the door, "Come in," I hollered, not looking up from my book. A bit frustrated for I solemnly loathe being disturbed.

"Ma'am Clementine, your teacher has arrived. She's now waiting for you in the study room." said our maid which I quickly dismissed with a wave but then I realized that I was being rude so I called her and said, "thank you" which earned me a smile from her.

I let out a loud groan and slowly went to the study room. As soon as I entered the room, I caught a glimpse of a sixty-year-old woman named Miss Dolores who was standing in the corner with her hands behind her back.

Miss Dolores is my homeschooled teacher since God knows when and my grandpa ultimately trusts her. She literally visits our house every single day.

"Have you already studied the book I gave you?" she asked as soon as I entered the room.

I stare at my pink bunny slippers and answered, "I overslept last ni-"

But I didn't have the chance to finished my answer, "Again with that stupid excuse, Miss Wright." she angrily interrupted.

"Tell me, Miss Wright, have you been reading those silly romance novels again? How many times do I have to tell you that it is a must for you to study the books I kept on giving you." she strictly said while walking around the room, her loud footsteps gave me chills.

"But Miss Dolores, I'd rather study Math and Science all night than read thick and boring History books that you kept on insisting me to read." I answered, my eyes still glued on my slippers.

"Plus, I have zero interest in that stupid victorian era that you're obsessed to." I added which made Miss Dolores stop walking. I looked up from my slippers and saw Miss Dolores fuming with anger.

"I'll quickly tell your grandfather about this, you insolent child." she said after a minute of pause. After that, she stormed out of the room.

I let myself fall to the sofa and let out a sigh. For the nth time, I am in trouble. I'm sure Grandpa will get angry at me for this bad mouth of mine once again.

I just can't digest reading that Victorian book that Miss Dolores and Grandpa kept on telling me to read. I mean, it's all about the noble families in the Victorian area. Plus, I almost died because of boredom.

I hate everything about the Victorian era. From their meek women, pretentious so-called-gentlemen up to their tacky taste in fashion and stupid laws and etiquettes. Seriously, their gowns always made me cringe every time I stumbled upon them in the books Ms. Dolores kept on giving me.

I mean, I am sorry but I am definitely not designated to live in the Victorian era mainly for the reason that I am not demure.

I wandered my eyes around the study room and realized that there's a family picture on the side. Why didn't I see this for like forever considering that I go to this room for like every single day.

I snatched the frame and stared at the black-and-white family picture. There stood a handsome man probably around his fifties with his arm around a woman, his wife perhaps. In their right stood two young fella but between them was a girl which is very familiar to me. Too bad I can't see her face because she wore a massive hat that covered her face. As I let my fingertips dance around the picture, I felt connected to this picture. Although I noticed that one of the young men had his arm around the girl's waist.