The Puppet Assassin - Ch 19 [the devil inside the player -|- dizelde]

Start from the beginning

"I don't see why he couldn't have just picked up the Esky on his way down."

"He's Garth." Lark scratched the back of his head lazily. "Why would he go out of his way to be helpful?"

This was true.

Luke ran upstairs and Kayli moved into the lounge room. B was snacking on the popcorn and I really wanted to reach out and grab a handful but felt uncertain because I didn't really know Bianca yet.

Lark checked the time. "Ah, I should go. Takes about an hour... yeah, I should leave now to get there on time."

Luke came dashing back down and as he passed Bianca he slid a hand around her waist and quickly pressed his lips to the top of her head. Almost immediately, his face tinged a little pink as if he'd just realised what he'd done. B blushed a little too. Hell, I'm sure I went red. I was a little envious. I wish I could have an easy romance like they were having.

Luke cleared his throat. "I'll pick you up from Kayli's later, B. I'll probably see the rest of you tomorrow." He rushed outside and a few seconds later I could hear the car drive off. Larkin was grinning malevolently as if he'd just caught Luke doing something he could tease him mercilessly about.

"I'm gonna go into the lounge. Um, I'd hurry up and follow Diz 'cause this popcorn is gonna disappear into my stomach real quick."

I should've followed but I leaned forward a little to take a step and felt like something insignificant was tugging me back and so I stood there awkwardly with Lark.

"Okay. I've really got to go this time. Wish me luck." He smiled innocently. Uh oh.

"Good luck," I said in monotone.

He grinned lazily. "Aw, come on. Give it a bit more than that!"

I rolled my eyes. "Take what I've given you before I get annoyed and curse you instead."

Kayli popped her head out of the lounge. "Oh, Lark, you're still here. Hurry up and go so that we can have Dizelde to ourselves."

Lark held up his hands. "I'm leaving, I'm leaving. Give it a rest, wee hunter."

She sneered at him and retreated back into the room. When Lark turned back to me there was a light in his eyes that made me instantly wary. That too confident look, the same as the one he'd had when he'd cornered me in the kitchen. I took a step back.

"Well bye," I said to remind him that he had to leave.

One corner of his mouth twitched upward. "My luck?"

"Wha-??"

I was cut off when he suddenly darted forward, shepherding me back into the wall. I caught both of his shoulders and tried to push him to the side so that I could twist away but before I could even tense my arms, he'd grabbed my wrists and pinned them to the wall. This was the position I'd told myself not to allow Lark to get me into because at close quarters he was too strong for me to beat him. I quickly thought of ways to get free but all thought went up in smoke when he pressed his body against mine, crowding me completely. His breath tickled my cheek and all I could do was stare into the depths of his molten sapphire eyes.

His head bent down in a quick movement, before I could muster a coherent thought. His eyes were wide, glinting, and holding my eye contact relentlessly. He bared his teeth and then suddenly snapped forward, taking my lower lip into their grip. My whole mouth tingled, my heart raced and a pool of heat rushed from my stomach to my thighs. He kept his eyes on mine, obviously amused now, as he slowly drew his head back, his teeth lightly grazing my skin. My breath suddenly shuddered and he shifted his thighs against mine.

My lip finally slipped through his teeth and he released my hands. They dropped back to my sides limply, my heart exploding out of my chest and I closed my eyes. I could see a bright, white light behind my lids and felt a little bit dizzy.

"Thanks for the luck, puppet," he said, his voice particularly husky and his accent had thickened.

I let out my breath slowly. I think my knees were shaking. How could that be?

"See you later."

I opened my eyes to see him walking towards the front door. Wait a minute. What had just happened?

"Hey!" I called out. "HEY!"

He made no acknowledgement that he had heard me and shut the door behind him. What the hell? Had he just basically gnawed on my lip? I lifted my hand to it and gently rubbed it with my fingers. It was pulsing slightly where the pressure of his teeth had been. I felt hot, close to sweating even though a cool draft had entered the hallway from outside.

"Dizelde?" Kayli's voice rang out. Oh god, she'd been only a room away. I pushed away from the wall and walked down to the lounge. B looked over as I entered and one brow rose sardonically.

"Are you alright? You look a little flushed."

"I feel a bit hot, actually," I said, trying to keep it truthful in front of Kayli.

"You better not be getting a fever," said Kay, "because I have plans to come over here next week and I don't want to have to sit by your bedside and spout piteous statements."

"Hmm, no, I think I'm fine." I smiled timidly and my lip tingled. I relived the moment when Lark swooped in again and felt my blush worsen.

"Oh-ho-ho!" Bianca smirked and glanced sideways at Kayli. "I'm thinking that Dizelde has something to tell us." She bared her teeth.

Kayli's expression turned confused. "What?"

They both looked at me.

____________________________________

I really wanted to end that chapter there. Mostly so that I could get it out to you quicker and, well, I wanted to end it there. So I'm probably going to do double Dizelde chapters because I want to write about the girls' night. Mmm, gossip ;)

Sid x

he he he. Chompy.