Chapter Fifty-Six

FIFTY-SIX.

The Next Day.

“I’m tired of your broken promises Richard!” Mom shouted, her loud voice was echoing around our house even though she was inside their room.

“I need time, Jennifer! Money doesn’t grow on trees! You work hard for it!” Dad shouted back.

I heard shattering pieces. “I am waiting for so long! Brianna needed money for college! Jake also has his needs!”

“Let’s switch roles huh?! I take care of the kids while you were out on the streets finding money to feed their family!”

“I hate you! Get out of this house, now!!” The door was swung open revealing dad.

I was in front of my bedroom door. I am actually deciding if I’ll stop them from fighting but since I was so used of them fighting and hurting each other, I’ve grown to just stand in the corner and watch or hear them say rude things to themselves.

“Bwianna? Why are they fighting?” Jake asks as he went out of his room. Dad stared at him then back at me.

“Jake, c’mon let’s go back to your room.” I pushed Jake back to his room as I closed the door. I lead him back to his bed. His head was resting beyond the pillow as I pulled the blankets to cover half of his body.

“Why are you not scared?” He speaks.

“Scared of what?”

“Scared of mommy and daddy, what if they hurt you?” He grabs his favorite pillow and hugged it.

“They will never hurt me or even you. They love us.” I forced a smile.

“Mommy hurt you earlier.” He says. He’s right, mom threw me almost al of the kitchen utensils towards me. But only a fork was been aimed to my upper chest, it leaves a mark but I just shrugged it off. She was putting all her stress towards me.

“She didn’t do it on purpose, Jakey.” I paused. “Now, go to sleep. Tomorrow will be a good day.”

He smiled at me. “Good night, Bwianna.”

“Good night.” I turned off the lamp as I stood up. I don’t want my brother to experience what I just had when I was a child. I want him to think that it’s okay if our parents hurt each other, even though it isn’t. I witnessed everything for the past years of mom and dad’s bickering and violence. I never wanted that for Jake.

As soon as I exit my brother’s room, mom also went out of the room and started fighting with dad again.

“Why can’t you just give it a break?!” Dad frustratingly says.

“I don’t want to! You are such a bastard!” Mom punched dad’s chest over and over as dad was trying to shield himself.

Then dad saw me once again. “Jane, go to your room!”

“No! Let her see how evil you are!” We are all evil mom, we are all sinners.

“Jennifer stop!”

“I hate you so much! You’re worthless!”

Dad pushed mom and he puts his right hand in his left chest. He looks like he was in pain. What’s happening?

“Dad?” I muttered as I slowly walk closer to him.

“He was so dramatic!” Mom mocked as she went inside of her room. Dad was leaning against the stairs but he failed as he fell down.