The Puppet Assassin - Ch 18 [family -|- luke]

Start from the beginning

Liam snorted as we heard Garth's voice sound deceptively patient. I shook my head. One day Lark would blow Garth's fuse and find himself in deep shit.

"Hey, can't I help out a friend?"

"I'm trying to work and you're PISSING ME OFF! TWO!"

"Fine, I'll go make sure that the two losers downstairs don't interrupt Goldilocks while she does YOUR work."

I could hear Garth sigh from where I was standing, just inside the door. "She wanted to do something to show her gratitude, I gave it to her."

"Most people would talk her out of it, tell her to relax because she's been traumatised for the last god knows how many years of her life!"

I exchanged a look with Liam that was both bored and irritated.

"Well, I'm glad you've remembered that I'm not most people," Garth said in a quietly aggressive tone.

I heard Lark click his tongue in exasperation and then saw him coming down the stairs. He saw us, greeted us both with a jerky nod and headed towards the kitchen. "We're just about to have lunch, you guys want any? Because SOME people get constant grumpiness if they are hungry."

"Would YOU like it if I followed you around on the football field yelling in your ear and getting in your way?" Garth had stormed out of his room and was slowly making his way down the stairs. He saw me at the front of the hallway and rolled his eyes. Liam, now leaning against the wall, snorted again.

"You wouldn't be allowed on the pitch, idiot."

"That's not the point and you know it."

"No, no, no, you're totally wrong. If you're really bothered by me than you could get an office somewhere and work there instead!"

"Kicked out of my own house just because you won't just leave me alone?!" Garth sounded flabbergasted.

"Hey, I'm just proving MY point. You're not allowed on the field just like I wouldn't be bothered going to your office, if you got one."

The door to the lounge opened and Diz stepped out, a screen tucked under her arm. She saw me down the hall and gave me a questioning look. I grinned. She was going to have to get used to these arguments. She stepped towards the kitchen but stopped when I waved my hands at her. She would also need to learn to NEVER get caught up in any quarrels between the two. It was better to just let them get it all out rather than getting them hyped up again.

"Which is NOT going to happen. Maybe I'll just install a lock on my door..." There was a pause. "What are you making?"

"Mini pizzas."

There was another moment of silence. Then Garth said, "We're out of cheese."

"Then go get some," Lark said coolly.

Swearing under his breath, Garth came stalking out of the kitchen, grabbing his coat as he went past me. "Don't let him put carrot on mine," he muttered to me before slamming the door behind him.

Liam pushed off the wall. "Geez, no wonder Garth seems always ready to have a fight. With you two around I wouldn't be able to handle it."

I scowled. "Well, thank god you don't have to." I walked over to Dizelde and held out my hand for the screen. She hesitated and then gave it to me. I looked over what she'd been doing and frowned. Lark had been right, Garth was getting her to edit his letter drafts. I wasn't sure if I was okay with it or not. It sort of seemed like he was extorting her. But when I looked up to suggest that she shouldn't let Garth boss her around, she gave a look that said not to argue. I shrugged mentally. I'm sure she was capable of saying no.