59 A Dinner with Family Shimada 4 (Present)

Start from the beginning

Smiling, she nodded and sat down next to Takeru. "Thanks, Dad."

"I know this is hard for you, Kiri." Kano squinted at his wife. "It's for all of us. But we should stick together as a family. Though the boys decided to stay here, which is their decision to make." He poked around in his rice. "They're old enough."

"I would really like to stay here too, Daddy," the middle-school student assured.

Yuna exchanged an embarrassed look with Takeru, who also had nothing to say.

"Kiri... you're too young for something like that."

Wataru cleared his throat. "Japanese, please."

"Sorry, Yuna-chan." The father looked at the blue-haired. "Usually we only speak English in this house."

"I've already come that far," she admitted with a grin. "It doesn't bother me when you speak English. I just don't understand everything."

Satoko laughed. "Please, Yuna-chan. That would be rude." She looked at the girl's rice bowl. "Do you want some more rice?"

"No, thanks, Shimada-san." She looked at the other girl. "As far as I understand, you don't want to move away from here, right Kiriko-chan?"

"Yes."

"Kiri...," Kano said.

"It sounds totally crazy, but our uncle inherited a large estate to me and my sister. My sister has already said that she doesn't want to live forever in the pension. Maybe we could start a kind of living community in my uncle's estate." The high-school student looked at her boyfriend. "All of us from the pension, do you understand?"

"I'm not quite sure. Morino-san has always been good to us," Wataru pointed out.

"Maybe. But we could save money like that. I think the property is empty anyway. Midori-san could also live with us. And Ayumi-san." She looked at the twin brother on the other side of the table. "And Takeru-san too. And maybe Kiriko-chan."

"Oh yes," the younger girl cheered.

Kano laughed. "We're not letting a group of children live in a house by themselves. That would be crazy, Yuna-chan."

"Midori is the guardian of me and my sister. And Ayumi is our roommate in the pension, and already over twenty," said the blue-haired.

Satoko sighed. "I'm not sure." She looked at her daughter. "I can't leave my little one alone here."

Thoughtfully, Wataru looked at his girlfriend. "We could suggest it to Midori-san. And Ayumi-chan. Then let's see what they think of it, okay?"

"Please..." Kiriko pleaded. "I don't want to be separated from my brothers."

"But you can do without your parents?" Takeru had been thinking about the subject all along. He evaluated for himself the facts and drew his conclusions from it. "You're thirteen, Kiri-chan. You need your parents."

"But..."

"Children. Stop it now. Me and your mother will discuss this again in peace." Kano looked at the high-school student at the table. "You can discuss your idea with your guardian, Yuna-chan. I'll give you my business card for her so she can contact me."

The blue-haired girl nodded eagerly. "Very well, Shimada-san."

Although the dispute was set aside, the tense mood hardly improved. Satoko and Wataru, as well as Kiriko and Takeru, chatted while Yuna squatted and listened.