57 A Dinner with Family Shimada 2 (Present)

Start from the beginning

It all started with a wedding photo of the parents. Yuna realized that Satoko had aged only a little bit and gained a bit of weight. The groom next to her looked very similar to her boyfriend's brother, though a lot older. Wataru would probably look like that in a few years if he cut his hair and beard.

After that followed some children photos. Two boys while playing in a sandbox. The boys cycling. Then came a photo with the two boys, who had a little girl sitting between them while eating ice cream.

"Are you coming, Yuna-chan?" Wataru's voice echoed from above.

"Yes." She continued to climb the stairs, her gaze catching on one of the last pictures. One of the boys was pictured with a girl on it. They both wore everyday clothes and smiled at the camera while holding hands. The girl had tied her black hair to two side braids just as Yuna always did. Her blue eyes were bright and Yuna could see a very fine shade of red on her cheeks.

The blue-haired also noticed the similarity with herself. "Was that Sakura?" she asked.

Her boyfriend climbed down the stairs and stood next to her. Silently he looked at the photo before nodding. "Yes."

"She was really cute."

"Yeah."

Yuna squinted over at him and realized that the corners of his mouth hung slightly down. She touched his forearm tentatively. "Do you miss her?"

For a moment he stared at the photo, then turned to her. "Sometimes I do. Is that weird?"

"No. Not at all," replied the high-school student hastily.

"I have a new girlfriend. Sometimes I feel like cheating on you when I think of her."

She gave a tortured smile. "She meant a lot to you. I understand that." Her smile widened. "For real."

"Did I tell you that you're fantastic?" As they smiled at each other, Wataru leaned over and pursed his lips.

"Onii-san!" a girl squeaked above them and rushed down the stairs. She threw herself from the side on the young man and cuddled him wildly.

Laughing, he turned to her and returned her hug. "Kiri-chan."

Her long, dark brown hair whirled through the air, whereupon she punched him against the shoulder. "You haven't called for so long. I was worried about you." She stared at him reproachfully.

"I was busy," Wataru said as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Hm." The girl looked past him at the blue-haired and gave her a hostile gaze. "Bet she's to blame."

Yuna wrinkled her nose. "What?"

Kiriko bared her teeth. "Leave my brother alone, witch." She kept clinging to the young man.

The high-school student flushed and hissed back, "I'm not a witch, you dwarf!"

Challenging, the younger girl leaned forward. "You're a guest. Behave."

"Kiri, it's enough," Wataru interjected, and the girl became more peaceful. "I really was busy." He looked at his girlfriend. "We hardly have time for each other."

Yuna stared at the girl with her lips pressed together and nodded. "I agree."

"I think she's stupid. Sakura was much nicer." The brown-haired girl ignored the high-school student and dragged her brother up the stairs. "Did you write a new song? I'm listening all the time to 'Sakura Sayonara'. It's amazing."